ATtiny85 and AruduinoISP 1.0.3

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cyrusbuilt

ATtiny85 and AruduinoISP 1.0.3

Post by cyrusbuilt »

Okay..... yes I know this topic has been covered all over the place and I've read every article and form posting I could find and tried every step I read. However, almost every post discusses using the Arduino Uno as an ISP under Arudino v1.0 or v1.0.1.

The issue:
I'm trying to program an ATtiny85 using an Arduino Uno, but I keep getting "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): sync error, resp=0x00".

Steps taken:
Using Arduino v1.0.3 on Windows 7 w/Arduino Uno R3:
Clicked Tools--> Programmer --> AVRISP MkII
Clicked Tools--> Board --> Arduino Uno
Clicked File --> Examples --> ArduinoISP
Clicked File --> Upload

Compile and upload succeeds.

Wire up ATtiny85 as described in High-Low Tech (URL omitted because the it contains a banned spam word: em eye tee (spell it out), how is this a spam word by the way? It is the name of a university!! Whatevs...)
Checked, double-checked, and triple-checked connections.
Connect 10uF cap to GND and Reset on the Undo

Interesting note (maybe?): When I connected the 5V lead to Vcc on the ATtiny85 as my last step in the wiring process. When I did, the onboard LED on the Uno marked "L" turned off. Dunno exactly what that means.

Uno is connected to a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Clicked Tools --> Programmer --> Arduino as ISP
Clicked Tools --> Board --> ATtiny85 (w/ Arduino as ISP)
Clicked File --> Examples --> 01.Basics --> Blink
Changed value of variable "led" to "0".
Clicked File --> Upload Using Programmer

Compile succeeds. On upload I get:

Binary sketch size: 664 bytes (of a 8,192 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So I read that you may have burn the bootloader for SoftSerial support, so I did the following:

Clicked Tools --> Board --> ATtiny85 (internal 8MHz clock)
Clicked Tools --> Programmer --> Arduino as ISP
Clicked Tools --> Burn Bootloader

Result:
Error while burning bootloader.

I'm at a loss. I've repeated these steps over and over. I've even gone into the ArduinoISP sketch to make sure I have delay(20) in the heartbeat() method. It was already there, so for the hell of it, I tried changing it back to delay(40) once. No go.

Here is the verbose output of my last upload of the Blink sketch:
Binary sketch size: 664 bytes (of a 8,192 byte maximum)
C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny85 -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM3 -b19200 -Uflash:w:C:\Users\CYRUST~1.CYR\AppData\Local\Temp\build1802945968492620001.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM3
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:

avrdude done. Thank you.

And here is the verbose output of my last bootloader burn:
C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny85 -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM3 -b19200 -e -Uefuse:w:0xff:m -Uhfuse:w:0xdf:m -Ulfuse:w:0xe2:m

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM3
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: Recv:

avrdude done. Thank you.

Do I just have a bad tiny??? I'm at a loss. I've also used (3) 330 ohm resistors in parallel with GND and Reset on the Uno as an alternative to the 10uF cap for disabling reset. Same result. I'm at a loss and I've been beating my head on this for days. Any advice, ideas, help, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-- Cyrus

gigamegawatts

Re: ATtiny85 and AruduinoISP 1.0.3

Post by gigamegawatts »

Hi,

Are you sure that ArduinoISP 1.0.3 supports the Tiny85? Apparently they changed something in recent versions of the Arduino libraries that affects the ability to program ATTiny's.

I'd suggest trying it with Arduino 1.0.1 if you haven't already.

Dan.

cyrusbuilt

Post by cyrusbuilt »

Hmmmm.... No I didn't know that. Interesting..... Well, that's irritating but at this point I'm certainly willing to try it. Thanks for the heads up!

greywuuf

Post by greywuuf »

I am using tiny's (84's and 85's) with 1.0.2 I futzed around a long time to night before I remebered that I was using a cooked 84, once I went to a new chip the Arduino ISP anda FTDI cable worked just fine. Usually anything with Softserial in it will fail to compile with a clock of 1mhz, suprised you made it through. the get sysc error is very common, I however dont recall what might cause it ....Baud rate? Check your connections again, if you hook a 85 in backwards ( place the chip the wrong direction) you have rversed the VCC and ground... it was terminal on mine. also MISO on the Tiny to MISO on the "druno .... I use SCL MISO MOSI and RESET ( from pin 10 on the 328 based arduino's) keep after it.. it is pretty "fiddly" to get right the first time.

greywuuf

Post by greywuuf »

Also the M.I.T link uses VERY cryptic pin numbers..... google a pin out of the 85 and use SCL MISO MOSI and RESET.... the pin numbers M.I.T uses are port pins or something... and it is easy to get crossed up that way.

greywuuf

Post by greywuuf »

Correction, I realize now that I load the Arduino IDE version .0022 Arduino ISP ...... then I use 1.02 for all my programing..... just use the sketch from the old version, I will have to compare and see what they broke.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”