sfg fingerprint reader

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ptribbey

sfg fingerprint reader

Post by ptribbey »

Hi,
I have been at this fingerprint reader on and off for months now and I cant get it to open using sfgDemo2.1 or EM01test windows programs.
I have the fingerprint reader buffered by a max233, and can see both rs232 data in and out and ttl levels in and out of the fingerprint reader.
I have used both a verified HL-340 usb to serial cable on com 2 and a verified 9 pin serial cable on com 3.
I have tried varying the supply voltage to only the reader from 3.3 to 5.9 volts as allowed by the datasheet. I have tried inverting the data in all combinations.
At one point I was able to make the reader leds light up steady while trying to read a fingerprint, before timing out, but I had not successfully opened the reader first.
No, i'm not using an arduino between the pc and the max233, as there should be no reason to. (i do not own an arduino)
What I would like is send the fingerprint reader to an experienced United States user to verify good or bad. (You should have one working)
If it is good, of course I will pay for return shipping and incidentals.
If interested please contact me at [email protected] for arrangements.
Thank You
Paul

adafruit_support_bill

Re: sfg fingerprint reader

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Paul,

Was this sensor purchased from Adafruit?

ptribbey

Post by ptribbey »

I'm not finding the receipt. As I buy large volumes of electronic supplies monthly, I guess I'm not sure where it came from.
The reason I'm posting here, is because I can't find anywhere else with users experienced with this device.
Paul

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You are welcome to post. Someone may have experience with a similar configuration. We have tested them to work in the configurations shown in our tutorials - as well as direct to PC via an FTDI USB/TTL Serial cable.

ptribbey

Post by ptribbey »

I got it to work.

Using the Aratek software, I was poking around, and just for kicks tried the SetKey button with a value of 1234.
It was a success, the first thing I've been able to do with this reader successfully. Then I read and displayed a fingerprint.
Seriously, I don't know what the heck made it start to work. Maybe the Key value? Nowhere in the datasheets or instructions does it say to do that.
I will be experimenting. This project interfaces to a customers vehicle autostart, and is worth quite a few bucks to me.
Thank you
Paul

ptribbey

Post by ptribbey »

One thing i forgot to post that may help someone.
The software at first never opened the device ,(it said fail to open device) however it let me change the password to 0x0000.
After I did that, it opened every time in theSFGv2.1 software.
Paul

Kuffulatorul

Post by Kuffulatorul »

Hello ptribbey,

I seem to have a similar problem as you had: when I try to connect the fingerprint sensor directly to the PC via an USB-to-TTL converter I get the ""Open device fail, please check the password and the device address!" error.
I would like to try to send the "1234" password as you did. So, can you please tell me from where did you get this "Aratek software" you were talking about?

Thank you,
Alex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”