Arduino Fingerprint scanner project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Arduino Fingerprint scanner project

by lawrencefla on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello, I was wondering is there a kit for the Fingerprint scanner project? If not which type of Arduino board do i need and what other components do I need to buy in order to do the project?
lawrencefla

Re: Arduino Fingerprint scanner project

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Are you referring to this tutorial? http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-opti ... th-arduino
On the right side of the screen there are links to the Fingerprint Sensor, Arduino UNO, and jumper wires used in the tutorial.

The Lock-Box project has a parts list here, with links to the parts available from our store: http://learn.adafruit.com/biometric-security-box/parts
adafruit_support_bill

by lawrencefla on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Thank you very much that is what I needed. If I wanted to connect a cell phone to the same project to be able to unlock the box via text is that possible by using only one Arduino board? Or do you all already have a kit similar as such?
lawrencefla

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

That sounds like a great project! You would probably need something like a GPRS/GSM shield. We don't have any firsthand experience with that shield so we don't have a tutorial for that. There is some good information on it here: http://labs.arduino.cc/GPRS/Index
adafruit_support_bill

by lawrencefla on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks last questions here, I looked at the suggested Arduino board for the lock box project could I instead use the Arduino Uno R3? If not, if I order the suggested one could It come assembled already?
lawrencefla

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 pm

An UNO-R3 will work fine for that project. If you are going to add the GPRS/GSM shield, I'd suggest using a larger box than the one in the example. There isn't enough room to stack a shield inside the false-lid on the 4x6 card file. But Vaultz and similar boxes come in a variety of sizes.
adafruit_support_bill

by lawrencefla on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Finally starting to try and do the fingerprint scanner project but currently running into a few problems. One problem is when I hook up the fingerprint scanner directly into the Arduino board the red light of the scanner comes on for only a fraction of a second. i have the Red wire-5V pin, Black wire- Gnd, White wire- Pin 3 and Green wire to Pin 2.

The second problem have encountred is loading the correct library i guess. The libary i loaded was the Adafruit_fingerprint.cpp but when i try and upload it to my Arduino Uno board i recieve this error:

core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':
C:\Users\Guest\Downloads\arduino-1.0.3-windows\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:11: undefined reference to `setup'
C:\Users\Guest\Downloads\arduino-1.0.3-windows\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:14: undefined reference to `loop'
lawrencefla

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Does the SFGDemo utility connect to the scanner?

The libary i loaded was the Adafruit_fingerprint.cpp but when i try and upload it to my Arduino Uno board i recieve this error:

You don't want to load the library. It wont compile by itself. You want to load one of the example sketches that uses it.
adafruit_support_bill

by lawrencefla on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 pm

I am unfamiliar with the SFGdemo. This is my first time doing an Arduino project. Had gotten a little lost with the fingerprint enrolment video from adafruit at the part it instructs about the library.
lawrencefla

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

The SFGDemo utility is the windows download on the downloads tab by the product description. Unfortunately, the instructions for it seem to have been dropped from the new tutorial.

If you open File->Examples, there should be an entry for the fingerprint library and the example sketches. If you can compile one of those, your library is installed properly.
adafruit_support_bill