Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead

by Chris Marrin on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 pm

I built a Boarduino, got the power light to come up and plugged in the mega328 that came with the board. Pressing reset got the red led to blink 3 times, so all seemed well. But attempting to program the board (using the Arduino IDE on a Mac), using both an FTDI cable and an AVR Dragon, gave an error:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:RSP_FAILED
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): ISP activation failed, trying debugWire
avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:RSP_DEBUGWIRE_SYNC_FAILED
avrdude: failed to sync with the AVR Dragon in ISP mode
avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)

I also ran a program called AVRFuses to read the fuses on the part and this failed as well.

So, I grabbed a known good mega328, plugged it in and retried. It worked fine. I was able to program the Blink example and see the LED on the Boarduino blink normally. I also verified that the AVRFuses program could read the fuses while the part was plugged into the Boarduino. Seems like I have a bad mega328? Are there other things I should try to see what the problem might be?

I've sent in a request for a new 328.

PS - I'm really happy with the small size and functionality of the Boarduino. I look forward to using it to breadboard my projects!
Chris Marrin

Re: Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 pm

So, I grabbed a known good mega328, plugged it in and retried. It worked fine.

That pretty much confirms that the boarduino and programming setup is right. If you contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread we'll send you a new one.

adafruit_support_bill