I bought an Arduino...now what?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

I bought an Arduino...now what?

by blf on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

So I bought an arduino Uno starter kit. Now I want to play, but I am nervous. I've never worked with electronics before. I even bought a soldering iron. I want to give it a go, any starter tips out there that will give me instant gratification? Are there any good books on starter projects (I am sure there are!) or should I continue to troll the internet (there's so much out here I am a bit overwhelmed.

My end goal is to incorporate lights/video/music/LED displays into several different costumes.
blf

Re: I bought an Arduino...now what?

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:20 pm

The tutorial series from Simon Monk is a good place to start. If you look around in the Adafruit Learning System, you will see lots of other great Arduino projects too:
http://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=simon+monk
adafruit_support_bill

by blf on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:37 pm

adafruit_support wrote:The tutorial series from Simon Monk is a good place to start. If you look around in the Adafruit Learning System, you will see lots of other great Arduino projects too:
http://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=simon+monk

Thanks! After I posted this, I started to look around the site and saw the lesson 0. I have now downloaded the software for my Mac and was setting up the serial port, but none of my options look like the ones in the lesson. All of my options have /dev/tty.bluetooth-PDA-SYNC or /dev/tty.bluetooth-MODEM. I wonder why I do not have a USB option.

EDITED: I figured the serial port out. Thanks!
blf

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Have you plugged in the Arduino? The port won't show until you plug it in.
adafruit_support_bill

by blf on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

adafruit_support wrote:Have you plugged in the Arduino? The port won't show until you plug it in.

Yep, it works now. Thanks
blf