Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Using IR to switch relay????
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Using IR to switch relay????

by khelms on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am

I want to be able to use a remote control to switch on a relay. I am not using any code, just basic knowledge of IR. The circuit turns an LED on when i push the button on the remote. i am using the output to the led to switch the relay. so when i push the remote button the relay goes off, The problem i have is that the IR signal is not steady and there for the relay makes noise but does not actually complete a connection. any ideas on how to make that signal steady so the relay with function properly? The Relay will be used as a switch for a code i made for an automatic skeet thrower release
khelms

Re: Using IR to switch relay????

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am

IR remotes use a PCM-encoded signal over a 38KHz carrier. If you filter out the carrier, you're still going to get a pulse-train with varying widths of ~1.. 4ms.

Use a big- enough cap and you might smooth out the signal train itself, but IR remotes repeat the signals about 10/sec, with a gap of about 60ms between each signal.

I don't think I see any way to simply connect an IR detector to a relay and have it do what you seem to want to do.

adafruit_support_rick

by khelms on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm

thank you. i am familiar with the workings of IR signal. I think ill try messing with caps. See if i can find one that will smooth that out put signal to something that will keep that relay on. thanks for the idea
khelms

by abqlewis on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 pm

If you add a diode to your cap circuit, it may help the smoothing (like rectifying an AC input).
If you can't get the caps to work smoothly, you can use a 555 as a pulse stretcher. A little more circuitry, but there is no code attached!

abqlewis