Is this project feasible with an Arduino ?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
balr1415

Is this project feasible with an Arduino ?

Post by balr1415 »

I am a retired sys admin and I more time then money. I have always wanted to set up monitors/cameras in and around my house. Is it possible to construct devices that using Arduino boards with various sensors send numeric/video data back to a central point via wireless transmission (Xbee)? My main concern is power; most of the places I want to monitor would have to be either battery or solar powered. Some units would have to be weather proof also, being outside many yards from the base.
I would reassurance before I start down this trail, that the technology using Arduino gear will work.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Is this project feasible with an Arduino ?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

send numeric/video data back to a central point via wireless transmission (Xbee)?
You can send numeric and 'snapshot' photographic data. But streaming video is beyond the data bandwidth capabilities of the arduino or XBee.

balr1415

Post by balr1415 »

"snap shots" would be fine. If a motion sensor at the foot of the driveway or a sensor on a back door could trigger a picture being taken and sent this would be excellent.
How about power? A unit with an Arduino, motion sensor, weatherproof camera, Xbee wireless and any other attachments, how could that be powered to be standalone ? And assuming that it would be in a sleep mode until activated.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A unit with an Arduino, motion sensor, weatherproof camera, Xbee wireless and any other attachments, how could that be powered to be standalone ?
Is AC power available to the location? One of our 9v/1A adapters would be plenty to run that. A solar/battery system would also be possible, but would require a bit more engineering.

balr1415

Post by balr1415 »

Some locations will have AC - house basement, upstairs back room. And some will be 50 yards or more from the house, so solar/battery will most likely be needed.
Since my first post, I have been all over this site (and a few others) and I think what I can accomplish most of what I ultimately want to do with Arduino and components. My first goal is to build a system that will monitor my driveway and when something occurs send a picture via wireless to a central PC.
I am looking forward to placing my first order with Adafruit and beginning this adventure.
Thank You.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”