arduino uno and 60rgb led neopixel strip

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
p373

arduino uno and 60rgb led neopixel strip

Post by p373 »

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding using an arduino uno with the 60 rgb led/meter neopixel strips.

First, I installed one strip correctly and got the strand test software to the light the strip. However after a while(several loops) the strand would get stuck in a loop of doing a wipe of red and not light all the pixels. If I turned everything off and on, sometimes it would fix it, sometimes not. Why would this happen? Am I running out of memory? Is it not powered properly? I experienced this when I powered the strip from the 5v of the arduino, and now I've injected separate power to the strip and have been unable to reproduce. But also I haven't had the time to let it run for several loops.

My second question is I'd like to add a 2nd strip into the mix. The 60 rgb led product page says the arduino uno has memory limits and should be able to drive 135 pixels. So I should have no problem connecting a second strip(as long as I give it its own power) , correct?

The first problem was worrying me and I just want to see if its just symptomatic of a power issue and not a memory issue.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: arduino uno and 60rgb led neopixel strip

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What you saw was a power issue. The LED strips want a lot more current than the Arduino can provide. We recommend giving them their own supply.

As far as adding a second strand goes, you shouldn't have any problems. The memory limit is about 135 pixels, and two strands come in below that limit. The more pixels you use, the less memory you have for code though, so beware of that.

p373

Post by p373 »

Cool, thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought. As far as memory, I'm just going to be using the stand test that cycles through some wipes and rainbows. Is that sufficient? I may make some minor modifications...Will the IDE let me know if I surpass the memory limit?

Also, as an aside. Is there something that I can use as a single power source (that i split) for the arduino and the 2 strands? Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Running strand-test on two meters you should not have any memory problems.
Is there something that I can use as a single power source (that i split) for the arduino and the 2 strands? Thanks!
Are you looking for a battery supply, or a plug-in power supply?

p373

Post by p373 »

battery supply (rechargeable)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are a few options shown here: http://learn.adafruit.com/battery-power ... and-strips

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”