ATTiny85 and the NeoPixel Ring

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aggroz

ATTiny85 and the NeoPixel Ring

Post by aggroz »

Hello All,

I am reposting this question in this thread in the hopes of getting a response.

I am somewhat new to the the Arduino community but have had very good luck until I purchased a few Trinkets. I, like many others, can not get them to communicate to the PC and IDE software. So I decided to try another approach. I used a Protoshield and wired it up to program the ATTiny 85/84 from the UNO. If I install the simple blink sketch, all works as designed. I then program the chip with the kaleidoscope sketch for the goggles project, ( takes the upload no problem), and nothing. I am using pins 3, 4, and 5, however, just one at a time. My research tells me that these are the PWM pins. I connect the whole unit to 5VDC, along with the Neopixel rings, and at best, I can get one LED to light up. I take the same sketch and upload it to the UNO board and it works like a champ. Is there something I am missing?

On a side note. When I connect my oscilloscope to the designated pin on my Arduino UNO, I get the expected results on the display. After programming the Tiny, and probing the appropriate pin, I get nothing. Thoughts?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank you
Adam

pburgess

Re: ATTiny85 and the NeoPixel Ring

Post by pburgess »

The NeoPixels should be able to connect to any pin on the Trinket; a PWM pin isn't required.

Odd that you're not seeing anything on the oscilloscope. You have Trinket selected from the 'Board' menu?

Do your Trinket boards all exhibit this behavior? None of them communicate with the PC? Have you done the 'use a USB 2.0 hub' trick?

aggroz

Post by aggroz »

I could not get the trinket to communicate with the PC so I gave up on this option for the time being. I instead opted for using a standalone 8 pin ATTiny 85. I programmed it using the Arduino Uno. It accepts the simple blink sketch and appears to accept the goggles sketch. However, I do not get any output from the tiny 85 chip. I am not using an oscillator in the circuit. I only say this because I was not sure that I needed one.

Any thoughts?

As far as the trinket is concerned, I cannot get that to work at all. I replaced the avrdude.conf file as well as the other steps outlined in the tutorial to no avail. It gives me a communications error.....

aggroz

Post by aggroz »

Update

Just an FYI, I did get the Trinkets and the Gemma board to work. I had to start fresh and install everything on another PC. I chose a ASUS gaming laptop running Windows 7 Home edition. I performed the exact same steps and all worked fine. The original PC was a Windows 7 Pro machine. I wonder if I completely remove the Arduino IDE and all of its libraries, then reinstall if this will correct the avr issue. To be honest, I am not sure that it is an AVR issue. I think it is more of a driver issue. Maybe I will start there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”