Using Analog gauges from cars.

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kilgorq

Using Analog gauges from cars.

Post by kilgorq »

I am trying to get some 4 wire gauges from an old instrument cluster to work. I think they are bipolar stepper motors that move the needle (Pointer) to the indicate levels.

Currently I am trying to get a fuel gauge to work. When I use the stepper library I can get the needle to move in the correct direction but it bounces back and forth and I can not get it to go a specific number of steps.

The concept is to have the analog gauges in my instrument cluster that are run by the Arduino and have a display in the center column with more detailed information. I got the display working fine but the analog gauges are not doing what I want them to.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using Analog gauges from cars.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I haven't played with any of these gauge motors yet. But there are some relevant links here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=223390

kilgorq

Post by kilgorq »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:I haven't played with any of these gauge motors yet. But there are some relevant links here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=223390
The ones I am trying to use are not the Switec ones. They are physically too large for my application. The ones I am using are out of a Dodge Intrepid. Mid to late 90's model. They have 653H2 10V3 on the side of them. There are 2 separate coils inside the the measure approximately 210 ohms each. This particular type of gauge is used on several cars. Starting in the early 90's. I think they are actually micro-stepper motors.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The switecs are also steppers and have a similarly high coil resistance. I would expect they should run much like any other bipolar stepper - but with very low current requirements.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”