How can I connect multiple Neopixel Led Strips on Arduino?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ozzyjammer

How can I connect multiple Neopixel Led Strips on Arduino?

Post by ozzyjammer »

Hello

I'm new in the adafruit world and I'm working with Neopixel Ledstrips for the first time.

I want to connect 4 Neopixel Ledstrips only on one arduino and want to programming every ledstrip independently from each other.
I have already read the description. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... no-library
but I have still question.

I connect 4 led strips on Aurduino. Every Ledstrip has their own 5Volt power supply.

My question: Can I connect all 4 -(minus)pins of the power supplies with one GND pin on the Arduino?
Or the Arduino has two GND pins? Is it better to use two GND pins, 2 on each GND pin?
Could be there any problem with the current?

Excuse me, but I'm totally new in this Arduino World.

Thank you in advance for your help

adafruit_support_bill

Re: How can I connect multiple Neopixel Led Strips on Arduin

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

My question: Can I connect all 4 -(minus)pins of the power supplies with one GND pin on the Arduino?
Or the Arduino has two GND pins? Is it better to use two GND pins, 2 on each GND pin?
Could be there any problem with the current?
Best to ground each strip back to it's power supply. These grounds will carry the current.

Then run a wire from the power supply to the Arduino ground. It is OK to connect multiple grounds to a single ground pin, since these are not carrying significant current. They are just to establish a ground reference for the control signal.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”