Can I use the Arduino Micro with AVR Studio?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cbmeeks

Can I use the Arduino Micro with AVR Studio?

Post by cbmeeks »

I purchased the Arduino Micro a while back and I'm really liking this little bugger.

But, I've run into some problems. First of all, I'm interested in doing much more assembly language (I'm a long time 6502 coder by hobby). I'm interested in building NTSC circuits (which I've done in PIC years ago) and finding the Arduino environment too high level.

Plus, the Arduino IDE has nothing but problem on my MacBook Pro. Such as randomly causing the OS to reboot and "gray screen of death". The IDE also "forgets" where the port to the micro is constantly so I have to upload then press the reset button which is annoying.

Anyway, so I thought I would try to use the Micro with the AVR Studio. I haven't had time this week to sit down and see what it will take so I thought I would ask in here if it's possible and what kind of problems I might have.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Can I use the Arduino Micro with AVR Studio?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It works, but it works at a different level of abstraction than the Arduino.

In an Arduino, the microcontroller is preprogrammed with a bootloader that reads data from the UART, writes it to Flash, then executes what it just wrote.

In AVR Studio there's no bootloader. You program the bare metal. To do that, you need a device that converts data from your computer into signals that drop the chip into programming mode and start filling registers. Atmel's version is the AVR Dragon, but there are several DIY versions that do the same thing, our USBtinyISP being one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/46

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”