Free RAM: 669

Wave test!
Error: Card init. failed!
SD I/O error: 5, 0
theredbaron

Re: advice before purchase

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:51 pm

That means the Arduino is having trouble talking to the SD card. There are any number of possible reasons for that, but I want to back up a bit..

When Bill asked if you could compile the 'cardinfo' sketch, you mentioned one called 'SDReadtest'. There's no sketch with that name in our SD library: https://github.com/adafruit/SD

What SD library are you using, and where did you get it?
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by theredbaron on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 pm

I went to this URL:
http://learn.adafruit.com/halloween-pumpkin/step-1

where there is a link to download the WaveHC library, the link text is "the WaveHC library". That took me to the download link at code.google.com, I then downloaded the zip file, unzipped it and inside WaveHC/Examples/SDReadTest there is a sketch named SDReadTest.pde

I loaded that sketch into the board and got the serial monitor message I posted earlier.
theredbaron

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 am

When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by theredbaron on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 am

ok, I loaded the SD library you suggested. Uploaded the daphc sketch and got this message from the serial monitor:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Wav: No valid FAT partition!
SD I/O error: 10, 0

Wave test!
Error: No valid FAT partition!
SD I/O error: 10, 0

I formatted the card again with the SD formatting utility, reloaded the sketch and same message from serial monitor.
theredbaron

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:44 am

Those problems generally occur for one of two reasons: a dead SD card or trouble with the connections.

Try another card if you have one, and post a photo of your hardware. We need images large enough, well enough lit, and well enough focused to see details, but the forum software puts a limit on file sizes. 800x600 images generally work best.
adafruit_support_mike

by theredbaron on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:48 am

Hi,

I redid the solder on the SD card holder. I got the following serial monitor with SD card 1:

Wavt. failed!
SD I/O error: 1, FF

Wave test!
SD I/O error: 1, FF

and with SD card 2:
Wav init. failed!
SD I/O error: 6, 0

Wave test!

here are pictures of the hardware:

https://www.cubby.com/pl/Adafruit/_04c2 ... 998b78c1c9
theredbaron

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:53 am

Can we get a photo of the solder-side of the board also?

You have a little too much solder on the tabs of the card holder, so it is hard to see if it has flowed well onto the solder pads. Check this guide and touch up any joints that look suspicious. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Pay close attention to solder joints on the SD card holder, the 14-pin chip next to it and the headers for pins 10-13.
adafruit_support_bill

by mboroff on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:06 am

I'm having the same issue compiling daphc. I attempted to run the card info program but it got errors trying to read the card. The program wanted me to insert the card. I took the shield off and replaced it with my ethernet shield and put the sd card in it. Cardinfo ran just fine.

I am wondering two things. The compile error, is it caused by too many libraries loaded and is it possible that an incorrect .h file has been included? Second is there a way to check that I have assembled the shield correctly with out reading a card?

Additional info after I posted. I put the shield back on and insert the card. I changed the cs pin in the card info to pin 10 and the program worked? Still can't compile and of the wavehc examples.

One other question occurred. Is it possible to stack multiple card shields with sd cards in them and is cs pin the way you differentiate them? Or would you just use one cards reader and make sure the correct cs pin is used?
mboroff

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 am

mboroff - Please start a new thread since your issue is a little different. If you have compile problems, please include the exact text of the error messages you are seeing. If you post photos, we can check the assembly of your board as well.
adafruit_support_bill

by theredbaron on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

ok, I redid all the solder on the SD card holder. Used a sucker to remove all old solder and re-solder.

I get the following serial monitor error:

Wav
Wave test!

Here are the pictures of the new solder job as well as the bottom (non-component) side of the shield:
https://www.cubby.com/pl/Adafruit/_04c2 ... 998b78c1c9
theredbaron

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:26 am

The solder looks good now. Load the cardinfo sketch and find the following lines:
  // we'll use the initialization code from the utility libraries
  // since we're just testing if the card is working!
  if (!card.init(SPI_HALF_SPEED, chipSelect)) {

Change the SPI_HALF_SPEED to SPI_QUARTER_SPEED and see if it makes a difference.
adafruit_support_bill

by theredbaron on Sat May 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi,

I've tried doing a FAT format with both the SD card formatting utility and the MAC disk utility. Tried several times. Either way I keep getting this in the serial monitor:

Card type: SD1
Could not find FAT16/FAT32 partition.
Make sure you've formatted the card

What's the trick?
theredbaron

by theredbaron on Sat May 10, 2014 6:59 pm

I just checked the SD card on a PC for kicks. The file system is FAT32
theredbaron

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun May 11, 2014 6:55 am

Did you try the SPI_QUARTER_SPEED test mentioned above?
adafruit_support_bill