0.56" 7-Segment Backpack - How to Clear Display?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ssaint

0.56" 7-Segment Backpack - How to Clear Display?

Post by ssaint »

Hi there,

I'm playing around with the 0.56" 7 segment display and see in the example the hex number "0xBEEF", sorry if this is a total newbie question, but is there a list of words that can be displayed via this method? Or is BEEF a special case?

When using the matrix.writeDigitNum, is there a way of displaying nothing in a location (i.e. I thought it might be "matrix.writeDigitNum(0, null, false)" for example, but this throws an error)? At the moment it seems to retain the B and the F from BEEF when I try to display two digits after that? I couldn't find anything in the library or example to show how to display nothing, is this possible?

Thanks, so far I'm loving the display, it was also my first soldering exercise too!

Cheers,

ssaint.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 0.56" 7-Segment Backpack - How to Clear Display?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

'dEAd' and 'BEEF' are semi-traditional test values. People have invested a lot of ingenuity in making 7-segment displays show text, but there are limits.. there's no way to do a 'W' with a single 7-segment module for instance.

This Wikipedia page has a list of character representations people have used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segm ... sentations

ssaint

Post by ssaint »

Hi Mike,

thanks for the link to the wiki page!

In regard to my other question, is there a way of clearing the display so it doesn't show anything?

Thanks again,

ssaint.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Just use 'writeDisplayRaw()':

Code: Select all

for (int i=0 ; i < 4 ; i++) {
    display.writeDigitRaw( i, 0 );
}

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”