Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Help To Understand Motor Wiring
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Help To Understand Motor Wiring

by c0rtex on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi Community,
So the last month or so I've really gotten into using Arduino; I'm new at this.

I've wired up a step motor before and worked fine, but to be honest I didn't really understand what I was doing and I now sorta regret that.

I needed a larger one for the project I am doing. So I have a unipolar with 6 leads. I understand the fundamentals of how the motor works and I have a data sheet that identifies the wires.
http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/dat ... YGH420.PDF

I just got the Arduino motor shield in and I know that I can run this motor on it. Pulled this quote from somewhere but I'm not sure what shorting the common wires means.
"Short common A to common B, connect common wires to + power, then A+,A-,B+,B- to unipolar driver"

In the meantime, I'm reading up on the Arduino motor shield to get a better understanding on connections.

Thanks for helping.

EDIT: I think what my resarch is getting at is that I can connect yellow/white wires to the ground and should function.
c0rtex

Re: Help To Understand Motor Wiring

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Check the resource links on this page for tips on figuring out how your motor is wired. In a unipolar motor, the 'common' wires are the center-taps of the coils.

adafruit_support_bill