Ardunio died? (Device descriptor request failed)

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RGKaizen

Ardunio died? (Device descriptor request failed)

Post by RGKaizen »

Hi guys,

Last year I built an led system driven by an Ardunio Leonardo. The Leo has 2 LPD8806 strips attached to it. For the last year its worked perfectly fine without problems. However in the last 2 weeks its abruptly stopped working. The only change that I've done to the system is that I bought a flora and installed another version of Processing IDE designed for the Flora. I'm running Windows 8.1 and in order to get the Flora working, I had to reboot in unsigned driver mode in order to get the driver installed. All that worked fine and the flora responded to the code upload and worked fine.

After that, my Leonardo stopped appearing in the first copy of the Processing IDE that I originally used, and in the new IDE. I tried installing the latest drivers for 8.1 x64 Windows, but the situation remains the same.

Now whenever I connect the Leo to either my main PC or my laptop, both give me a saying the "device descriptor request failed" for the USB connection to the Leo.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Is my Leo dead? Should I try a different OS other than windows 8.1 to see if its an OS/Driver issue? What can I do to save the project?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ardunio died? (Device descriptor request failed)

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That sounds like a driver issue. Do you have another system to try it on? Another thing to try is to un-install the driver for the Fora and see if it will talk to the Leonardo again.

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

I've tried it on 3 separate systems so far with identical results.

For two of the systems, I downloaded and installed the latest ardunio drivers, let the leo driver install naturally. Then I plugged in the leo and got the same error message.
- Windows 7 32bit laptop, has never seen flora.
- Windows 8.1 64bit laptop, has never seen flora
- Windows 8.1 64bit main pc, has seen flora.

How can I determine if the leo's usb module is dead?

adafruit_support_bill

If it is happening on 3 different systems, then it is likely a problem with the Leo itself. Is there any error code reported by the Device Manager?

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

Yeah, it might be the case that somehow the flora ardunio setup corrupted the bootloader for the leo.

My problem is very similar to : http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?PHPSE ... c=222379.0

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

Hi there,

For some reason my computer is reporting my Flora with the same problem. What the heck is going on!? Is Windows 8.1 just garbage when it comes to electronics support?

adafruit_support_bill

We have seen some issues with USB 3.0. If you have both 2.0 and 3.0 ports on your machine, be sure to try it on the 2.0 ports.

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

Thanks Bill, I've tried it on both types of ports and I still get errors.

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

This doesn't make any sense. I connected the flora, it worked fine. I uploaded the code to the flora, and now it won't be detected. How in the world did the ardunio IDE mess up the bootloader for both devices and is it possible to fix it?

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

Update: When I uninstall the device from device manager and hit the reset button on the flora, it initially shows up as a Flora, only to be replaced with the unknown device descriptor. Is there a way to wipe my machine of all ardunio drivers?

Kevin_M

Post by Kevin_M »

In the folder where all the Arduino stuff was downloaded, there is a folder called "drivers." You could delete that, and all the ftdi drivers and other drivers would be removed from the system. Then, you would have to delete all of the Arduino things except sketches from your computer and completely reinstall Arduino.

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

Thanks Kevin,

I don't understand this ridiculous issue. I'm on my windows 7 netbook. I hit the reset button on the flora. It shows up in the device manager as the adafruit flora. I quickly right click it and update drivers using the ones provided by adafruit. It says it installed the driver successfully, then shows up as unknown device in the device manager.

Why is this happening, it doesn't make any sense. Is the problem the driver, the flora?

RGKaizen

Post by RGKaizen »

So I've solved the issue, but I'm not entirely sure how.

I read this thread
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38847
and remembered the trick needed to upload code to the leo.
Holding the reset button on the leo while uploading code to it will not only cause the code upload successfully, it also causes the device driver to install itself correctly.
I'm also running unsigned driver mode in windows 8.1 which might be needed for this to happen.

In any case, the trick worked as well for the flora as it did for the leo, now both register as correct devices.

Windows 8.1 is not ideal for working with ardunios.

adafruit_support_bill

It is true. The Device Manager does not always make the right decisions. And the driver signing requirement is a real PITA.

timv1

Post by timv1 »

I agree about the signing process. I had a USB driver signed for 64-bit win7 which is also good for win8 and it was a bit of a chore. During the process I found a couple of errors in their testing process (one was a simple bounds checking error) which took a while for them to understand and eventually fix. But I suppose it's a good thing since a misbehaved driver can wreak havoc on a system.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”