Ultimate GPS and Arduino uno

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kvwood

Ultimate GPS and Arduino uno

Post by kvwood »

I am following the directions from the learn section of the site, which demonstrates how to hook up an arduino uno and an ultimate gps board. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps

When I hooked it up directly to the computer and bypassed the microprocessor, I could read the GPS data clearly from the seal monitor. It appears GPS unit is functioning fine
But when I hooked up the gps to the arduino, as instructed, I get the following on the serial monitor , using the echo example from the Ultimate GPS library:
Jÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ_Þÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

5v to Vin
Gnd to Gnd
3 to RX
4 to TX

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Kent

4 to TX

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Ultimate GPS and Arduino uno

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Try changing the baud rate in Serial Monitor to 115200

kvwood

Post by kvwood »

Thanks Rick. This worked great. I apologize for not seeing this in the code before.

Do you know of a way that I can send this data to GPS visualizer, so I can create a map dynamically as data is coming in? I will be using this GPS with 2 Xbee Pro's to track a balloon. Here is a website that talks about doing this, but I am not sure how to get the data to a document that has a url that can then be linked to GPS Visualizer.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/examples/google_gpx.html

Thanks again for your help

adafruit_support_rick

You mean, you want to know how to generate the XML file format from the raw GPS data?
I think if it were me, I would simply pass the raw GPS data over the XBees, and then format the data on the receiving computer.

If you don't have a receiving computer, and you want to pass the XML formatted data over the XBees, then you'll have to write an Arduino program to perform the formatting. Perhaps there's a library out there which will do it for you - I don't know. That's a job for Google...

kvwood

Post by kvwood »

Rick, yes, I want to pass the raw data over the xbees and then format the data at the receiving end. I will have a laptop at the receiving end hooked up to the Xbee. My concern is how to get the raw data into GPS Visualizer on Google earth. How can I export data out of the serial monitor in real time to a file that can be linked to GPS Visualizer. Would Tinygps program be an option?

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Serial Monitor would not be involved. The Arduino/XBee appears as a serial comm port on the receiving computer. You would need some utility that can accept standard GPS sentences from a COM port. Since GPS is a serial protocol, I would expect that you probably already have something that can accept GPS data. The fact that the data is coming over an XBee would be completely transparent.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”