USB Boarduino and auto Sketch Start

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ngmada

USB Boarduino and auto Sketch Start

Post by ngmada »

"Note that, sadly, the Boarduino will not automatically start the sketch after upload if you do this. Its a bit of a tradeoff and you may find that pressing the reset button is faster and getting auto-start is better for you."

I'm looking to build a USB Boarduino into an application where the reset button will not be accessible. It wasn't clear what tradeoff this was referring to. Does this apply only if using it with Windows?

https://learn.adafruit.com/boarduino-kits/use-it

It's essential I understand this before purchasing one.

Franklin97355

Re: USB Boarduino and auto Sketch Start

Post by Franklin97355 »

Where did you find that quote? I didn't see it.

ngmada

Post by ngmada »

There's some talk on com settings after the Arduino Compatibility topic. It then speaks a line about it not automatically running the sketch upon boot or reset. It's not clear if that only applies to the Windows environment or in all cases. It also alludes to a tradeoff and it's not clear what is being traded off for what.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

OK, from my read you get a choice. Auto-reset or start after upload. Auto-reset means if you open a serial monitor to the micro it will reset and start the program from the beginning. The other option means after you upload a new sketch the micro starts running it without having to press the reset button. I guess the choice depends on how you plan to use the boarduino.

ngmada

Post by ngmada »

Which option (if not both) allows it to start the sketch upon being powered up. After it has already been programmed?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”