Viewing Libraries and .h files on a Mac / OSX

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Doryen

Viewing Libraries and .h files on a Mac / OSX

Post by Doryen »

I'm trying to locate or search for the .h files or libraries in the Arduino IDE using Finder on a MAC (OS X).

I have installed the Adafruit Arduino 1.0.5 IDE which works fine and is located in the Applications Directory

I do see the Documents/Arduino/libraries folder, which contains a read me file, as well as a folder for each of my projects/sketches.

However I would like to find and examine the math.h files or even the Adafruit_NeoPixel header and library files.

The only way I can see them is by going to the Arduino application and "Show Package Contents" which is under the
Contents/Resources/Java/libraries folder I can then see the files and open them, but seems kinda counter intuitive.

Is this typical? Do I have it installed right? How can I use Finder to find the .h files or other libraries?

It seems this is more of a Mac / OSX question than Arduino, but would like to post as I see the Adafruit (and others I'm sure) work from a Mac.

Many thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Viewing Libraries and .h files on a Mac / OSX

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Open Package Contents is the way you do it. There's no other way.

Doryen

Post by Doryen »

Thanks for the quick response Rick!

I'll have to now experiment with adding a library to see where it ends up!

egutting

Post by egutting »

Added libraries should go in your Arduino library (in the libraries folder) in Documents. (At least that's where they go for me and I'm on BANNED)

adafruit_support_rick

Doryen wrote:I do see the Documents/Arduino/libraries folder, which contains a read me file, as well as a folder for each of my projects/sketches.
Your sketches should be in Documents/Arduino. Only the libraries should go in Documents/Arduino/libraries
Doryen wrote:However I would like to find and examine the math.h files or even the Adafruit_NeoPixel header and library files.
Adafruit_NeoPixel should go in Documents/Arduino/libraries. Only system libraries should be in the package. You should never have a reason to add anything to the package.

Doryen

Post by Doryen »

Thanks Rick!
egutting wrote:Adafruit_NeoPixel should go in Documents/Arduino/libraries. Only system libraries should be in the package. You should never have a reason to add anything to the package.
This library was already installed in the package under Contents/Resources/Java/libraries folder - I took the easy route installing the Adafruit Arduino IDE, so I guess it works either way, right?

adafruit_support_rick

It works either way, but if you install your libraries in the package, then you will lose them when you upgrade to a new version of the IDE. Similarly, I run both 1.0.5 and 1.5.6 (for the Due) simultaneously. They both use the same Documents/Arduino/libraries folder, so I don't have to duplicate anything.

Doryen

Post by Doryen »

Got it! Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”