Seating Shields atop Uno or Ethernet using stacking headers

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
digsigblake

Seating Shields atop Uno or Ethernet using stacking headers

Post by digsigblake »

I want to be able to stack shields atop Arduino Unos and Arduino Ethernets, without having to resort to the height increase and hassle of using two set of stacking headers (the ones Adafruit sells) to get the first shield far enough away from the Arduino Uno or Arduino Ethernet boards to not collide with the USB connector case on the Arduino Uno or the Ethernet connector case on the Arduino Ethernet.

I am hoping that there are stand-offs or other spacers, and/or combinations of male/female header connectors that will let me do this. Using a single set of the stacking headers Adafruit sells results in a collision between the shield and the Arduino's USB or Ethernet connector, and that collision leads to mechanical alignment/seating problems.

A successful result would have good electrical paths between the boards, would not not be any taller than necessary for avoiding contact between the boards (aside from the desired contact at the connectors), and would let all pins firmly seat into their corresponding receptacles.

Can someone direct me to sources for (and supply part #s for) equipment that will accomplish this? I'm guessing that stand-offs, stacking headers with extra-long pins, or both will be the best answer(s).

Searching this forum and elsewhere, I came up empty.

DigSigBlake

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Seating Shields atop Uno or Ethernet using stacking head

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know of any stacking headers the same height (or slightly taller) than the jack on an Ethernet Shield.

You might be able to make a connection of the correct height by mounting the female header to the bottom of the shield you want to stack on top of the Ethernet Shield and using double-ended pin header like this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/400

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”