Connecting a BLE nRF8001 to a laptop...

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andrewa

Re: Connecting a BLE nRF8001 to a laptop...

Post by andrewa »

I'm getting similar things.

I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the dongle from Adafruit.

In viewing the output from the Arduino, I see "Advertising started", then, when I try to pair the computer and the Arduino/BLE dongle setup, I get a "Connected!", but then immediately get an "Advertising started" again.

The PC (Windows 7) side shows a UART device, and then the dreaded "Connection failed because an incorrect code was entered."

So, my serial port isn't in use, and *some* sort of handshaking is going on, but there isn't any final connection.

Does Adafruit have any comments on this?

The interesting thing is that during the install, the messages coming during the install said "installing BLE stack..."...

I see Adafruit has a "Bluefruit LE Friend - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) - nRF51822 - v1.0" http://www.adafruit.com/products/2267 , but this mentions debugging talking to a tablet or phone, not to an Arduino. Could this be used to simulate a phone -> Arduino/BLE connection, since the Arduino/BLE will be considered a device? Or should this https://www.adafruit.com/products/1588 be used instead?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Windows 7 doesn't support BLE, so you won't be able to use the nRF8001 with your laptop.

The nRF51822 is a client device. It must connect to a BLE "Central" device, like a phone. It won't connect to the nRF8001.

You want to use the EZ-Link to connect your arduino to your computer
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1588

christinebelle

Post by christinebelle »

you need to install a bluetooth nrf8001 drivers for your laptop, so i think it will helps you to solve your problem. Because your laptop doesn't have the bluetooth drivers. You can follow the windows drivers download site to find the Bluetooth drivers for your laptop. And you can also download a software to help you auto detect your laptop and recommend you the right driver file.

andrewa

Post by andrewa »

Yeah, but Windows 7 doesn't support BTLE directly.

Is there any way for a Windows 7 system to talk (through an intermediate device) to an Arduino with an nRF8001 so you can simulate commands coming from a phone or tablet?

christinebelle

Post by christinebelle »

try to use a driver scanner to helps you scan your computer accessory driver information, maybe it will shows you the nRF8001 drivers, and then you can follow to download and update it. You can download it from here.

christinebelle

Post by christinebelle »

I think there are several ways you should to consider. One is that, it the laptop cannot support the nRF8001, you can at first connect the devices to the laptop as a bluetooth. And here is a tutorial about add bluetooth device to laptop with pictures.

When the laptop recognize it, you can install the driver for it. There are several ways you can install the bluetooth driver for it. You can go to device manager > Bluetooth > choose the bluetooth devices > update driver software > Search automatically for the updated software to update the bluetooth driver. This is in the case of your devices is supported by the system you are running.

If your system cannot support nRF8001, you may download the driver in the offical site and install drivers with compatible mode.

Wish this helps.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”