lipoly won't charge

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maxwellsd

lipoly won't charge

Post by maxwellsd »

RE: Order #586933-9174313193

Hi folks,

I just received this order yesterday. I put together my new PowerBoost 500 Shield (PID: 2078), plugged in my new Lithium Ion Battery - 3.7v 2000mAh (PID: 2011), and let it charge overnight.

I came back this morning to find the "charge" LED was still lit. I put a probe between GND and the BATTERY VOLTAGE MONITOR and got 0.134V (DC).

This might be irrelevant, but the inductor in the step-up section, labelled GR8, has a broken package... sort of a chipped corner of the potting compound. I don't see exposed wires, so it might be nothing.

Please advise. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am charging without attaching the shield to an arduino. I'm probably posting this is the wrong place... sigh. sorry.

Franklin97355

Re: lipoly won't charge

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of your board and the connections to it so we can have a look? Thanks.

maxwellsd

Post by maxwellsd »

There is not much to show. I'm using an Apple 12W wall-wart, and a 'power-only' micro USB cable. The "CHG" LED glows very brightly when everything is plugged in.

I'll go out and buy another, all-pins, micro USB, and try again with a different PSU. I'll update you with the outcome, pictures if I can. Thanks.

maxwellsd

Post by maxwellsd »

I got a brand new micro USB. But I can't replace the PSU right now. It won't charge with the new cable. Here's the picture you requested. The first is without flash, to see the bright CHG LED. The second is with flash so you can see the damage to the inductor better.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/309 ... .23.33.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/309 ... .23.49.jpg

Edit: changed image links

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement. Even if it is not the problem that should not be like that.

maxwellsd

Post by maxwellsd »

Done. Many thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”