Malfunctioning PowerBoost Shield?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
EpicSports

Malfunctioning PowerBoost Shield?

Post by EpicSports »

Last week I received a PowerBoost 500. I got it all wired up and sandwiched between an Arduino Ethernet and a prototyping shield. The battery powered the device for a few minutes then turned itself off.

Figuring the battery was low, I plugged the PowerBoost into a computer to charge. After a few minutes, the area around the USB port became extremely hot. I unplugged the USB and battery for a few minutes, then tried again with no change. This weekend, I let it set to see if maybe there was a timed reset. I have also pressed the physical reset button.

The only thing added to this board is 13 header pins(RST,3v, 5v, GND, A0, D7,D8,D10-13,GND,AREF). The Arduino will function correctly if powered by the 5V port on the prototype board. I would think if a short existed, that wouldn't work either. Any thoughts of what I can do to get the PowerBoost back to working?

Franklin97355

Re: Malfunctioning PowerBoost Shield?

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?

EpicSports

Post by EpicSports »

Top of MakerShield:

Bottom of MakerShield:

Bottom of PowerBoost:

Top of PowerBoost:

Intended Schematic:

I know the soldering is cringe worthy, I am still new working on circuit boards.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I would follow this lesson on assembling the shield https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pow ... ttery-pack and you should solder all the connections. I also recommend the stacking headers that came with the shield.

EpicSports

Post by EpicSports »

So the PowerBoost should start working if that is done? Or I just need to get a new board and solder all of the pins?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you follow the assembly instructions and solder all your pins then we know thet if it still does not work that is not the problem and can move forward. Once you get it complete please post new pictures and we will check. Let us know how it is going. Thanks.

EpicSports

Post by EpicSports »

I was able to put the full headers on this morning, within seconds of plugging in the USB cord and the battery, the USB port of the shield itself was hot enough to burn. Neither board lit up for more than a split second.

Bottom:

Top:

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can't see anything worng so I guess it's time to replace it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”