Motor Shield v2 no movement, extreme heat

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ppsieradzki

Motor Shield v2 no movement, extreme heat

Post by ppsieradzki »

Hi All,

Shifted my focus to motors tonight and came across a very weird issue. My v2 shield has been acting up. As soon as I plug in a power source (12V) (and yes, I checked the polarity) the driver chip heats up to BURNING HOT (like, finger-burning-hot!) and no motor movement. I disconnected and it cools nearly instantly. I checked for any pieces of wayward wiring causing a short, nada. Solder is good, no pins are soldered together.

Any ideas? Is my board shot?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield v2 no movement, extreme heat

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That doesn't sound good. Was there a motor connected at the time? Post photos of the board and your connections.

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

There was. There was some stuttering of the motor and then nothing, so I felt the board and nearly burned myself and quickly yanked the power cord from the outlet to try to save it.

Picture of top (rocking the shield on a Mega 2560 r1): (the whiteout on one of the chips is so that I can tell which one is which more easily from a small distance (project is in a very tight enclosure))
CIMG4206.JPG
CIMG4206.JPG (399.04 KiB) Viewed 387 times

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

Bottom:
CIMG4208.JPG
CIMG4208.JPG (388.9 KiB) Viewed 386 times

adafruit_support_bill

What kind of motor did you have connected? And which components were getting hot?

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

The motor was the NEMA17 sold by Adafruit. I check the product picture every time to make sure my wiring is correct, so I don't think it's the motor or the wiring.

The component(s) that get hot are the two ICs towards either end of the board (like the one I marked in WhiteOut and it's "partner" across the board). And not just hot, like, burning hot. I must add that I've used this very board for a few different occasions with no problems, and I'm using the same exact Arduino and power supply, so that eliminates other confounding factors.

adafruit_support_bill

That motor is a relatively easy load - unless it has an internal short circuit. But even that would only affect one of the H-bridge chips. The chances of having two similarly defective motors connected are quite remote. In any case, it is simple to test. Each coil should have a resistance of about 35 ohms.

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

Ah, my motor has a short!!

Does this mean that I might've burned out my driver? Since I tested it on both H-bridges to see if it was an anomaly..

adafruit_support_bill

Does the shield still heat up with no motor attached? Do you have a different motor to try?

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

I do indeed. I have a second NEMA17 (also from Adafruit) that I know is working. H-bridge heats up without the motor as well. The second H-bridge likely met the same fate as the first because of testing the shorted motor.

adafruit_support_bill

When did you purchase the motor with the short?

ppsieradzki

Post by ppsieradzki »

Over a year ago.. to be perfectly honest it was likely my fault. I've been working around a lot of dust and debris (including grinding down aluminum extrusions and custom parts) so some metal dust probably got in there and eventually built up to the point of a short.

Thanks so much for your help, though!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”