Migrate Nick's Pong Clock to Adafruit 16x24 red LED panel

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cleveguy

Migrate Nick's Pong Clock to Adafruit 16x24 red LED panel

Post by Cleveguy »

Greetings all,
For a year or two, I have been the happy user of an Arduino project called Nick's Pong Clock.

http://123led.BANNED.com/about/

This a really nice clock with several clock modes, including a pong clock similar to what can be found at Adafruit. I have built this clock using my Uno which I bought from the wonderful folks at Adafruit, also using the Adafruit proto board, and RTC 1307 module, and a few other parts.

I have been a thankful and willing Beta tester for Nick, when he updated the code to support IDE 1.05, and have been the grateful recipient of credit for assisting Nick with the current version. His efforts are to be applauded, and I would encourage others to build the clock. There have been a few other Pong Clocks derivative of his work as well, which can be referenced from his site.

So what is my point amidst all of this verbosity?

Although I love my clock, and would like to build a few more, I am not really happy with the Sure Electronics 2416 LED Matrix display that the project calls for. It is a lengthy process getting the panels, as they ship from China, and I do not really like the form factor. The board is just vertically too big.

I recently purchased some of the really nice 16x24 red LED matrices from Adafruit. I had a glimmer of hope that they would work with Nick's clock, as they use the same Holtek controller chip. The code compiles and loads fine, and it runs with the exception that everything is sideway, and mirror imaged. In addition, the 8x8 matrices are also in the wrong place…. which makes it look pretty odd. I guess they must be wired differently, and I know that the library that Nick uses is not the same as the one Adafruit provides and supports, though I believe that there are bits that are very similar. There are several aspects that I like much better than what is available from the kind folks at Adafruit, especially the larger font support.

Nick is a very nice fellow, but is a busy person, and has given me some advice, but my very infantile programming skills cannot make sense of any bit of it.

I would love some assistance, or someone to help migrate this project to run on these panels. I just cannot handle the programming part.

I believe that it would be a great Adafruit project, as most of the required parts would be Adafruit products.

Would anyone out there be interested in this?

I know that it is just a programming issue, and probably fairly simple for a skilled programmer.

That certainly is not me!

I would love to help in anyway that I can, and I would also enjoy promoting Nick's generous contribution to the Arduino community.

Thank's to all who have taken the time to read my posting.

gmglickman

Re: Migrate Nick's Pong Clock to Adafruit 16x24 red LED pane

Post by gmglickman »

I just finished his Pong clock as well as his similar mini matrix clock, and had to modify the software to match 8x8 matrix assembly.
The Ada display is based on the same HT1632C driver as the Sure displays and porting the code should be doable, although I'm not a code wiz.
If you're still interested in doing this, why don't you contact me at spinnaker121 at yahoo and I'll see if I can help.
Gary

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”