Flakey Trinket bootloader - am I alone?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
srd

Flakey Trinket bootloader - am I alone?

Post by srd »

I have a Windows 7 i7 32GB workstation with USB 2 and USB 3 ports. I have successfully restored/installed the bootloader on a trinket. It blinks as it should but only if connected to the workstation through a USB 2 hub on a monitor, and then it only works on one of the two hub ports. It shows up as "USBtiny" on one port, and as "USBtinyISP AVR Programmer" on the other. This is with a working cable that works fine with a UNO. All connections are good! When I try to download a simple script to blink the red LED, which used to work, it will not load now saying "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not insync: resp=0x00." This error is now consistent. I have redone the bootloader twice, and it verified OK both times. The only thing that changed since it did work is the phase of the moon and the season, and some windows upgrades, but your driver is still the same. In fact it will not let me reload it.

My suspicion is that your boot loader cannot keep up with a modern fast PC processor. First, it appears it cannot identify itself fast enough when plugged into a USB port, and when it does, it cannot keep up with the CPU fast enough turning the bus lines around. The bootloader seems really flakey.

Do you have or are you working on a better version?
Last edited by srd on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Re: Flakey Trinket bootloader - am I alone?

Post by Franklin97355 »

USB 3.0 ports are not recommended as they don't work most of the time. If the Trinket is flashing when you press the reset button you do not need to re-apply the bootloader. Make sure you have the correct driver installed, if you have two different device names you probably should remove them using the Device Manager and recreate them. The speed of the processor has no effect on avrdude or the Trinket. Make sure you wait until later in the compile session so the Trinket is still in bootloader mode when the actual download starts.

srd

Post by srd »

Thank you Franklin,

I'm only using USB 2 ports. The bootloader is flashing. I have the correct driver installed - same one I used before for this same trinket device which was working. The bootloader is in the blinking mode when the download attempt starts. Really, I've done this hundreds of times. The loader seems to have a problem working consistently with Windows 7.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Before you compile go to file|preferences and check show verbose output for upload and post the response please.

srd

Post by srd »

Here it is....
Attachments
Screen shot
Screen shot
Capture.JPG (107.72 KiB) Viewed 304 times

srd

Post by srd »

I found the problem, and it was all mine. Pilot error: the programmer got changed to Arduino as ISP and not changed back to USBTinyISP. My bad - please disregard or delete this thread. The sketch loader is working fine (again).

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Happens all the time..

Glad to hear it's working for you. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”