Using Adafruit TSL2561 Digital Luminosity/Lux/Light Sensor ,

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mtglen

Using Adafruit TSL2561 Digital Luminosity/Lux/Light Sensor ,

Post by mtglen »

I am wondering if the Adafruit TSL2561 Digital Luminosity/Lux/Light Sensor , is a ready to use photo-optic analog to digital converting circuit, that I can hook up to an Ardunio board, to create the guts for a laser harp ? Up until now all i have seen is that one must create your own circuit/board, to allow the conversion of an analog input form a photo-optic sensor, into a readable digital signal, to use in triggering midi sounds.

Has anyone used this circuit in this way ?

Thanks ! Glenn mtglen at laserharps dot com

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Using Adafruit TSL2561 Digital Luminosity/Lux/Light Sens

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you just want to detect if a light beam is broken? This will do that.

mtglen

Post by mtglen »

Yes, ...................How I want to use it is to have a low powered laser beam, <5mw, shining at the sensor circuit, and when the beam is broken, have the Ardunio board send a midi-on signal to the midi sound source. I am also wondering if I could use this sensor circuit with a Miditron controller as well , as I believe that both the Miditron and the Ardunio work the same way?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If all you need is beam-break detection, this is probably a better option: https://www.adafruit.com/products/161
The problem with using the TSL2561 in a harp is that the number of 'strings' will be limited by the available i2c addresses (only 3 with this sensor). Using simpler sensors like the cds photocell, you can have as many strings as you have GPIO pins.

mtglen

Post by mtglen »

Thanks ! But with teh photocells, I would need to design and construct the needed additional circut parts to allow the analog signal from the photocell to be converted to digital , is this correct ?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is correct. But the circuit need not be very complicated. You can probably do it with just a resistor divider. The photocell acts as a variable resistor in the divider, so breaking the beam will cause a change in voltage. If you choose your resistor values right, breaking the beam can change the voltage from logic LOW to logic HIGH.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”