CC3000 Connecting to wifi with username, password and ssid

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dardie

CC3000 Connecting to wifi with username, password and ssid

Post by Dardie »

Hey everyone,

I am trying to connect my Arduino Uno to my college wifi using the adafruit CC3000 wifi shied. While on my home network, I can plug in the ssid and password and everything works, my college wifi has a username-password pair per student distinct from the ssid.

How do I connect to that ?

tdicola

Re: CC3000 Connecting to wifi with username, password and ss

Post by tdicola »

For the college network do you have to put in your username and password to a special web page with a web browser once you're connected? (i.e. kind of like BANNED or airport wifi networks too)

If so those are a little tricky because the CC3000 can't run a web browser to do the web-based authentication. There are a couple things to look into though:

- Try contacting the network support for your college network and see if they can allow the CC3000 based on its MAC address. When you run the buildtest sketch it will print out the CC3000 MAC address, and that might be something the network admins can use to allow the device on the network. This is the easiest and most reliable option so I would check it out first.

- The second option is to clone the MAC address of a laptop or device you've gotten on the network already. For this you'll want to find the MAC address of the laptop/computer (usually in network settings, search around in Google and it can give you a more direct answer depending on the OS you're using). Then check out the commented code in the setup function of buildtest which sets the MAC address of the CC3000. Fill in your laptop/computer's MAC address and run the sketch so the CC3000 starts using that MAC address and appears to be the laptop/computer when its on the network. Unfortunately at this point you have to turn off the cloned laptop/computer or at least disconnect it from the network because two devices with the same MAC can't be on the network at the same time (they'll get confused and start seeing each other's traffic). This is really more of a fallback or temporary option though, I would look at the first option to see if your network support can help get a device on the network given its MAC address.

Try checking out either of those options above--good luck!

criggio

Post by criggio »

So I'm trying to connect my CC3000 using my laptops MAC address which is already registered on the network.

What do I put in the password space and what do I put for security?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

What do I put in the password space and what do I put for security?
That really depends on the network you are trying to connect to. What do you have to do with your laptop?

mattganis

Post by mattganis »

Trying to raise this question to the top of the list.

I'm trying to do the same. Using my iPhone, when I connect to the SSID I get a webpage back that asks
for my User ID and password in order to connect to the SSID. How I can do this on an ESP8266 or Arduino wifi ?

I would imagine when I initially connect, the wifi router is open to just reply back with this html and will accept an HTTP POST
message with my USERID and PASSWORD - and if validated, will then authorize my MAC address - I have no idea how it works
or what the authentication method is called. I'm sure somebody has done this ......any pointers ?

thanks....Matt Ganis

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You'll have to reverse-engineer the authentication protocol running on that network. There are no standard solutions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”