WS2812B 5050 RGB LED with Integrated Driver Chip - 10 Pack

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rocco99

WS2812B 5050 RGB LED with Integrated Driver Chip - 10 Pack

Post by Rocco99 »

Would this be bright enough to use in making a desk lamp?

Franklin97355

Re: WS2812B 5050 RGB LED with Integrated Driver Chip - 10 Pa

Post by Franklin97355 »

Do you want a colored desk lamp? How many leds do you plan to use and how bright do you need the lamp to be?

Rocco99

Post by Rocco99 »

I figured that with RGB, the lamp could be configured for different colors depending on mood perhaps. I would like the lamp to provide ambient lighting for working at my home office desk (In this mode I would want it to be white and bright.). When not working, it could perhaps change color randomly about once every 5-10 mins. Not sure how many LED's I would need to achieve this or how to power it. All part of the learning process I guess.

The working lighting requirement would be about the same provided by a fluorescent 8" lamp. The idea is to see what design I could come up with and build it myself.
If 10 of these LEDs could provide enough light that would be great, otherwise there might be other higher power LEDs available somewhere or perhaps I could use 20 LEDs.

I would need to determine power requirements among other things; which is why I asked the question in the first place. Since I am a newbie at electronics, any help given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for getting abck to me.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I think 10 is a good starting point. You also will need a micro controller, if you are just starting out I would recommend the Arduino Uno as it is the easiest to work with. Also a power supply, 5v 1amp is a good choice and a breadboard and jumper wires or a spool of 22ga solid core wire.

Rocco99

Post by Rocco99 »

Thanks a lot. I do have an Arduino UNO. I was concerned with the power required and whether or not 10 LEDs would be sufficient. I'll follow your suggestion of 5V 1A and breadboard it to see how much light is produced and take it from there. Thanks again.

marke3

Post by marke3 »

Firstly, get some neopixels in some form. They will make you happy. For functional lighting, the area to be lit and density of the LEDs will be important. I have some strips (30/metre) along two shelves above my desk. That's about 10/foot and that's not enough to read by comfortably. 10 in the length of your 8" fluoro is better but will still be borderline. Also keep in mind it is only lighting a small area too, not the whole desk - I use a 33" 22W fluoro to do that.

With both on together the neopixels add a little light but lots of smile when they do their thing. You might also want to look at the straight white 5050s. https://www.adafruit.com/products/682 In a dense set they definitely give readable light (still limited area).
Some I put together
Some I put together
image.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 194 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”