RGB LED Dimmer/Overheating Problem

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jitterskitters

RGB LED Dimmer/Overheating Problem

Post by jitterskitters »

I'm relatively new to electronics, as this is the first arduino board I've ever worked with (I've done some simple circuitry before however). What I'm trying to do is hook up an LED RGB strip to the board and connect it to some sort of knob or capacitive sensor that will allow the user to cycle through the RGB values. It will be used in a desk lamp, so the color can be changed for "mood lighting" in a sense. I have already connected the LED strip using this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips but I am lost as to how to hook an external knob/dimmer to it. If anyone can help it would be extremely appreciated!

Another issue - I am using MOSFET's and they get EXTREMELY hot as well as some other components on the board (I burned myself on one) and I was wondering how to avoid this generally large amount of heat because I know it could ruin the setup. Thanks everyone!
Attachments
Just for reference. Also, I apologize for the lack of color-coded wires - the diagram from the tutorial will give you more guidance as to the setup!
Just for reference. Also, I apologize for the lack of color-coded wires - the diagram from the tutorial will give you more guidance as to the setup!
image1 (1).JPG (648.6 KiB) Viewed 250 times

Franklin97355

Re: RGB LED Dimmer/Overheating Problem

Post by Franklin97355 »

You look to be powering them from the Arduino 5v pin. These LEDs need 12v from an external supply that is why you need to run the MOSFETs. You were probably overloading the onboard voltage regulator and could have damaged the Arduino.

jitterskitters

Post by jitterskitters »

I made sure I was powering them according to the RGB LED tutorial, via the Vin pin (I always triple checked the layout before giving any power), but thank you for the input!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, you say mosfets but you're using the TIP120 diagram - can you specify which part number you have for the drive transistors?

secondly, how long is the LED strip?

thirdly :) what voltage/current is the wall adapter you are using? 9V 1A?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”