Pulse Sensor: Inaccurate detection

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeffpan

Pulse Sensor: Inaccurate detection

Post by jeffpan »

Hello, i bought a pulse sensor recently and connected it correctly. It can work and the LED blinks with my heart beat. However, it just work for the first several seconds(BPM=70~90), and then it becomes inaccurate. The BPM reaches to 150-200. what's wrong with it?
My code is download from the pulse sensor websites, i think it should be correct.
Does anyone meet the same problem and know how to solve it ?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pulse Sensor: Inaccurate detection

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like you might have an intermittent connection somewhere.

Could you post a photo of your hardware and connections please? 800x600 images usually work best.

jeffpan

Post by jeffpan »

I have used the multimeter to check the connection between each pin, and i think it shoud be ok.
I have used the multimeter to check the connection between each pin, and i think it shoud be ok.
IMG_2605 (2).JPG (822.23 KiB) Viewed 392 times
adafruit_support_mike wrote:It sounds like you might have an intermittent connection somewhere.

Could you post a photo of your hardware and connections please? 800x600 images usually work best.
the hardware connection is shown below.
IMG_2605 (2).JPG (822.23 KiB) Viewed 392 times
I have tried both timer0 adn timer1 that is introduced in the pulsesensor.myshopify.com/pages/pulse-sensor-amped-arduino-v1dot1 .

Also, i tried to comment/uncomment the ''analogReference(EXTERNAL); ''

The code i use is shown:

Code: Select all

int pulsePin = 10;                 // Pulse Sensor purple wire connected to analog pin 0
int blinkPin = 7;                // pin to blink led at each beat
int fadePin = 5;                  // pin to do fancy classy fading blink at each beat
int fadeRate = 0;                 // used to fade LED on with PWM on fadePin

// these variables are volatile because they are used during the interrupt service routine!
volatile int BPM;                   // used to hold the pulse rate
volatile int Signal;                // holds the incoming raw data
volatile int IBI = 600;             // holds the time between beats, must be seeded! 
volatile boolean Pulse = false;     // true when pulse wave is high, false when it's low
volatile boolean QS = false;        // becomes true when Arduoino finds a beat.

void setup(){
  pinMode(blinkPin,OUTPUT);         // pin that will blink to your heartbeat!
  pinMode(fadePin,OUTPUT);          // pin that will fade to your heartbeat!
  Serial.begin(115200);             // we agree to talk fast!
  //Serial.begin(9600);
  interruptSetup();                 // sets up to read Pulse Sensor signal every 2mS 
   // UN-COMMENT THE NEXT LINE IF YOU ARE POWERING The Pulse Sensor AT LOW VOLTAGE, 
   // AND APPLY THAT VOLTAGE TO THE A-REF PIN
   analogReference(EXTERNAL);   
}

void loop(){
  sendDataToProcessing('S', Signal);     // send Processing the raw Pulse Sensor data
  if (QS == true){                       // Quantified Self flag is true when arduino finds a heartbeat
        fadeRate = 255;                  // Set 'fadeRate' Variable to 255 to fade LED with pulse
        sendDataToProcessing('B',BPM);   // send heart rate with a 'B' prefix
        sendDataToProcessing('Q',IBI);   // send time between beats with a 'Q' prefix
        QS = false;                      // reset the Quantified Self flag for next time    
     }

ledFadeToBeat();

delay(20);                             //  take a break
}

void ledFadeToBeat(){
    fadeRate -= 15;                         //  set LED fade value
    fadeRate = constrain(fadeRate,0,255);   //  keep LED fade value from going into negative numbers!
    analogWrite(fadePin,fadeRate);          //  fade LED
  }

void sendDataToProcessing(char symbol, int data ){
    Serial.print(symbol);                // symbol prefix tells Processing what type of data is coming
    Serial.println(data);                // the data to send culminating in a carriage return
  }

the interrupt code:

Code: Select all

void interruptSetup(){     
  // Initializes Timer1 or Timer 0 to throw an interrupt every 2mS.
//  TCCR1A = 0x00;     // DISABLE PWM ON DIGITAL PINS 3 AND 11, AND GO INTO CTC MODE
//  TCCR1B = 0x0C;     // DON'T FORCE COMPARE, 256 PRESCALER 
//  OCR1A = 0X7C;      // SET THE TOP OF THE COUNT TO 124 FOR 500Hz SAMPLE RATE
//  TIMSK1 = 0x02;     // ENABLE INTERRUPT ON MATCH BETWEEN TIMER1 AND OCR2A
	TCCR0A = 0x02;
	TCCR0B = 0x04;  // these put the timer into CTC mode and set the prescaler to 256
	OCR0A = 0x7C;   // timer0 counts to 124, then gets reset to 0
	TIMSK0 = 0x02;  // enable interrupt on OCR0A match
  sei();             // MAKE SURE GLOBAL INTERRUPTS ARE ENABLED      
} 

// THIS IS THE TIMER 2 INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE. 
// Timer 2 makes sure that we take a reading every 2 miliseconds
ISR(TIMER0_COMPA_vect){                         // triggered when Timer2 counts to 124
  cli();                                      // disable interrupts while we do this
  Signal = analogRead(pulsePin);              // read the Pulse Sensor 
  sampleCounter += 2;                         // keep track of the time in mS with this variable
  int N = sampleCounter - lastBeatTime;       // monitor the time since the last beat to avoid noise

adafruit_support_mike

A multimeter is too slow to catch the changes an intermittent connection produces.

Try connecting a jumper with alligator clips between pad D10 on the Flora and the solder joint for the purple wire on the veroboard. See if that helps.

jeffpan

Post by jeffpan »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:A multimeter is too slow to catch the changes an intermittent connection produces.

Try connecting a jumper with alligator clips between pad D10 on the Flora and the solder joint for the purple wire on the veroboard. See if that helps.
Yes, I have done that and it still got the same result.

adafruit_support_mike

Try the power and ground connections as well. If that doesn't help, we can get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”