Solar Charger v2 and data shield on Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mizuho

Solar Charger v2 and data shield on Arduino

Post by Mizuho »

Hi,

I have an Arduino with Adafruit's data logging shield (PID1141) to collect temp/RH data from 5 sensors (AM2302 PID393). It is reading every 15 min or so. It has been working just fine with an AC adapter.

However, I want to measure environmental data at outside, so, I now have a set up of a solar charger (v. 2, PID390), which is hooked up to a large 6V 3.4 W solar panel (PID500) and a 3.7 V 2000 mAh battery (PID2011). When I connect the plug to the Arduino+data shield, green LCD turns on, but I do not see the blinking of red SD card LED which happens at the start up of the shield. Also, when I press reset button on the data shield, nothing happens. In the end, data are not collected.

I was wondering if the output through the solar charger is not enough to run Arduino+data shield, or maybe I am making some kind of mistake. If you can help me figure things out, I would appreciate. Thing is that I have to make 3 of these for my project...

Thanks!!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Solar Charger v2 and data shield on Arduino

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You are connecting the solar panel to the Arduino's barrel jack/VIN? 6V is not enough to run an Arduino that way, because of drop-out in the voltage regulator. We recommend a minimum of 7V

Get a PowerBoost and connect it between the solar charger's battery output pads (NOT the LOAD output) and your arduino's USB input.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1903

Mizuho

Post by Mizuho »

Thank you!

Yes, I was using the barrel connector. I will give the PowerBoost a try.

One thing to clarify: so, I should connect like this?

Solar panel --> DC jack @ Solar charger
Li battery --> BAT jack @ Solar charger
LOAD jack @ Solar charger --> BAT jack @ PowerBoost
5V (USB) jack @ PowerBoost --> USB jack @ Arduino

So, what I will need are 1) PowerBoost (1903), 2) JST 2-pin cables (261), and 3) USB standard A-B (62)

Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No - don't use the LOAD jack on the solar charger - that can produce 6V, which will fry the PowerBoost.

Instead, there are B+ and GND pads next to the BATT jack. Connect the PowerBoost to those pads:
solar_charger.png
solar_charger.png (714.15 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Use one of these to make the connection:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/261

Mizuho

Post by Mizuho »

Thank you for timely reply!
Since I have to deploy my stations as soon as possible, I have already placed an order for cables, but it is good that I won't blow the PowerBoost!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”