Arduino Leonardo USB Serial issues

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
quarterturn

Arduino Leonardo USB Serial issues

Post by quarterturn »

I have an Arduino Leonardo purchased within the last month from Adafruit. It's been working fine until today, when, in the course of uploading a program to it via Arduino 1.6.1 through the USB serial bootloader, it failed to present itself as a USB serial device after rebooting.

dmesg shows errors like this upon plugging in the Arduino:
USBF: 44986.280 The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 1 of Hub at 0xfa130000)

I have tried different USB cables. There is no change in behavior.

If I burn a bootloader (having chosen Arduino Leonardo as the board type) to the Arduino using an AVRISPMKII and the "burn bootloader" option, it will present itself as USB serial one time, and then go back to failing if you try to program it via the bootloader. Arduino 1.6.1 throws "avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive" at the end of programming, while Arduino 1.0.6 does not. Must be something with avrdude. It enumerates as /dev/tty.usbmodemfa1311.

If I program the Arduino via the AVRISPMKII, it uploads successfully, but the USB serial disappears.

Any ideas? It was not subjected to a drop or static discharge, it just stopped working. I have been using it with a Seeed Studio SIM900 shield, which has been working fine. I have other Arduinos but Leonardo is ideal since pins 0 and 1 are hardware serial, allowing full speed to the SIM900 while also having separate serial debugging.

The Arduino was purchased via order 723067-5827015768 on February 28, 2015.

Franklin97355

Re: Arduino Leonardo USB Serial issues

Post by Franklin97355 »

Email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Leonardo.

quarterturn

Re: Arduino Leonardo USB Serial issues

Post by quarterturn »

Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”