Can't upload to Pro Trinket, USB, Linux

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ADearUser

Can't upload to Pro Trinket, USB, Linux

Post by ADearUser »

I would like to know about this stuff too. I just DLed the official 1.6.3 programmer/IDE and got my official Arduino Uno to blink... it was many times lamer than I thought it would be: there I was with a pack of resistors, an LED and a browser tab pointed to a resistance calculator and none of that was needed... not even a keyboard, it just blinked. I just clicked.. and it just blinked.. Needless to say I was pretty upset with how easy that was, so I went and grabbed my Pro Trinket and attempted to replicate the lame experience I had with the Uno, sadly and to my conflicted relief it didn't work.

I don't see the trinket in the board's options for 1.6.3! Trajik! Following some Adafruit references, I found that it's easier to DL the adafruit's hacked version of the programmer, and though that shows the trinket boards, in the board's list, the ports option is grayed out like a spider web. What's more, upon my reading of Adafruit material, I came to either an innocent arrangement of typos or something objectionable "Pro Trinket is not supported on Linux operating system at this time - try Mac OS or Windows!" Respectfully, that literally could have made me vomit if I had eaten any more recently than I had today upon reading that statement. I love you guys, but I need a more techy explanation for lack of reciprocal support for linux than that. I'm sure there's a good reason for the way of things, and maybe things aren't even that grim and I just need to keep at it until I feel the sweet reward of a blinking light that was really, really hard to make happen. idk. For now I'm stumped with the below screenshots and system stats.

OS: Linux Mint 17 (strikingly similar to Ubuntu and Debian --as I'm sure at least half of you at Adafruit know, the most ported to platform of all time, including Windows and Mac)
Configuration: none done manually, don't know where 'under the hood' is with this program
Pro Trinket LED states: 1 solid green LED, 1 red LED pulsating, some-what nervously

Also.. I get the feeling the IDE environment for Arduino and the trinket is still settling.. can I just upload to the trinket via commandline? I'd kind of prefer to do something like `upload-avr my_code.c /dev/ttyACM0` or `deploy` rather than sort out all this clicking around chaos. I find that linux documention is a lot simpler than windows and mac because commands can be described in ASCII with out the need for screenshots and drawing circles around important fields/ etc.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Can't upload to Pro Trinket, USB, Linux

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We don't *support* Pro Trinket on Linux. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work - just that we can't help you if it doesn't.

You can use avrdude to upload the hex file to the Pro Trinket via the command line. The Pro Trinket emulates a USBtinyISP programmer.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Open the programmer menu below the ports and make sure the USBtinyISP is selected. Then see what happens, if it does not work try pushing the reset button just before it starts downloading.

ADearUser

Post by ADearUser »

I tried changing the programmer to USBtinyISP, but the ports were still gray.

After googling avrdude and trinket, I found my way to a CLI project called platformio that seems to have support for the trinket boards. It's not just burning it to my trinket though as it does with uno, and it wants me to specify an upload_port. I `ls /dev` and I don't see anything that resembles ttyAMC0. Does that indicate a problem with my trinket?

Also, I've made an attempt on a windows computer.
1) I downloaded your 1.6.3 IDE
2) I plugged in the trinket, and windows 7's driver installation in the bottom right corner says it's EDIT: installing.. then it just disappears
3) I investigate the device manager to find that I have a USBtiny device listed under other devices, but it has a yellow warning icon indicating a problem.

The IDE in windows is exhibiting the same issues as it was on nix.

ADearUser

Post by ADearUser »

Ok, things are starting to come along on windows. I had to get those drivers on windows 7. I did searching and saw the flora drivers at some point but not trinket drivers and assumed trinket didn't need them.

I think I'll probably have Linux working soon too now that I see that the port is always grayed out. Thanks for being available, and it's good to hear that I'll likely be able to deploy to a trinket from a PC running a professional OS with a developer friendly package management system.

ADearUser

Post by ADearUser »

Confirmed, Linux Mint working flawlessly. It wanted sudo access, but that's a bad practice that can become a huge pain in the neck. To fix it I created the below file was created:

(/etc/udev/rules.d/30-allow_trinket.rules)

Code: Select all

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1781", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0c9f", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0664"
And these handy commands were run

Code: Select all

$  sudo usermod -aG dialout $(whoami)
$  sudo restart udev
If anyone else wants to see an Arduino noob's linux based dev environment approach or more details on the whole sudo issue, be sure to check the repo below https://github.com/thenotary/cool_blink

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”