Programing a Metro with Arduino IDE

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
timarc

Post by timarc »

I can’t get a new Metro to program, and I would appreciate some help.

I’m Using Arduino: 1.6.4 with Adafruit AVR boards 1.2.0 installed. Attached via USB A/micro B. “Metro” selected under Tools>Board, and serial options selected. Green power led is on. Fresh out of the box, I haven't even installed headers yet. Ive programed the Trinket, Pro Trinket, and many Arduino versions. No luck with Metro.

When I plug in an Arduino, I get serial port options: "/dev/cu.usbmodem621 (Arduino Uno)" or "/dev/cu.usbmodem411 (Arduino Micro)" ect. depending on the Arduino.

The only serial options available for the Metro are:
"/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem"
"/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync"
Neither of them work.

Ive tried restarting the IDE, reinstalling Adafruit AVR boards 1.2.0
Also the cable works fine for programing Pro Trinket, and Arduino Micro.

Is the Metro bootloader not working? Is a port not being established? Am I missing something?

Thank you for your assistance.
Attachments
IMG_6480.jpg
IMG_6480.jpg (211.76 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 2.15.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 2.15.11 PM.png (22.37 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Last edited by timarc on Wed May 20, 2015 12:50 am, edited 9 times in total.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Programing a Metro with Arduino IDE

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Launch System Information and look in the USB pane. Do you see any sign that the Metro is being recognized at the hardware level?

timarc

Post by timarc »

Hello Mike,

Yes “Adafruit Metro 328”

But it doesn't show up in Arduino Tools>Port

When I plug in an Ardunio, I get a “Communications Device”, Pro Trinket “USBtiny”, and “Trinket” for a Trinket respectively.

Is Optiboot the bootloader shiped in Metro?

Thanks...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 6.05.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 6.05.55 PM.png (45.14 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 6.07.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 6.07.10 PM.png (45.96 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

adafruit_support_mike

The Metro comes with an Optiboot bootloader, yes.

Something funky seems to be happening with the USB interface though.. if the OS recognizes the hardware, it should create a serial port.

Disconnect the Metro, open System Preferences and select the Network pane, then delete anything that has a name like "USB Modem" or "USB-Serial Controller". That should clear out any service files that might be causing touble. When you plug the Metro in again, the OS should create a new service file automatically.

timarc

Post by timarc »

Good morning Mike,

I deleted two USB Modems from System Preferences>Network, there were no USB-Serial Controllers; restarted the Arduino IDE, and there is still no port option for Metro. Then tested Arduinos, and Trinkets, all work as they should.

I would like to purchase a bunch with SMT headers, but this one needs to work first.
Is the PCB width the same with headers?

Whats next?

Thanks...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 11.59.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 11.59.55 AM.png (23.19 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

gokart2

Post by gokart2 »

I am in the same boat, but using windows. I first believe it's do to not being able to find/install drivers. I installed the Arduino IDE with Adafruit boards package. Plug in the Metro, deny the auto driver install, then go to manually install the drivers as instructed be the article from this site. Drivers can't be found.

Since the Metro isn't listed under the Adafruit boards in the board manager/board select menu, I try the UNO selection. It will not upload the sketch, gives error.

Basically I need to know how to get the drivers for the Metro, and what board to select.....or how to install the Metro board to the board menu.

timarc

Post by timarc »

Hello gokart2,

Not sure if it’s the same problem... but this may help you -->

If you haven't already, install Arduino IDE 1.6.4. http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software Then follow the instructions here: https://learn.adafruit.com/add-boards-arduino-v164 to add a url at the bottom of the preferences pane of the IDE, Then go to the Tools>Board>Boards Manager, add or update "Adafruit AVR boards 1.2.0", and then you should see the Metro in the Tools>Board pane.

Good luck...

gokart2

Post by gokart2 »

Thanks. I did need to update the AVR board version. Metro now shows in the manager. But..... I still get an error when trying to upload the "Blink" sketch.

"avrdude stk500_getsync()" is the error. Everything I can see points to there not being a driver for the board. I tried to manually upload from the Arduino/drivers file with no luck. Both before and after the AVR board update.

I am new to Arduino, but have had a long past with Android ROM and kernel hacking. Never had a device work without drivers. I need to know where to get them, have been unable to find them by searching.

adafruit_support_mike

Sounds like something wierd is happening between basic USB recognition and the actual communication.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement Metro once we get them back in stock.

The "with header" and "without header" versions are identical, one just goes through an extra assembly step.

gokart2

Post by gokart2 »

Thanks for the reply/help. I am not 100% sure that's the case. I have been only using the one USB to USB micro cable, which has worked with past Android ADB stuff. So therefore the power and comm should work fine. I truly think its driver related.

When I check the connection in device manager, it shows the board clear as day. When I check the driver info, there is none. I cannot find related drivers in the Arduino IDE files. And the PC cannot automatically find them by auto checking.

Last I knew, u had to load drivers for the device in order to have a "good" connection state.

Therefore, if I can get the drivers, then manually install them. I am almost certain its the issue. If not, then I need to learn how to reinstall the boot loader. If that doesn't work, then I would assume it's a board issue. Rather not have to waste either of our time and money.

Regardless, when I get it figured out, I will write up a nice how to "Get started with Metro". ;)

timarc

Post by timarc »

Hello Mike, & gokart2

It seems gokart2 has some concerns, and I don’t believe they are related as he is on
Microsoft. Drivers should not affect the issue I have as I am using OSX. Perhaps we should break gokart2 to a separate thread… Good luck with your driver quest, and glad I could help with your IDE issue.

Mike

If the pictures are correct the PCB is different because, the one with headers is sporting SMT connectors with alternating side leads, and thats why I asked if the PCB is wider to accommodate the leads. I looked at the measurement specs for both boards and I see that the with headers board is longer, not wider witch is odd. So is the PCB the same size or is it wider, or oddly longer? Or is it the original board with through hole headers installed, and the picture is wrong?

Sorry for the trouble, I”m trying to figure enclosure dimensions.

Pending your answer on the PCB, can my replacement be with headers?

Do I need to return my original Metro?

Thank You...

adafruit_support_mike

My response above was to timarc: it sounds like the USB chip on your Metro has a problem, and I've authorized a replacement for that device.

@gokart2: Please start another thread for your issue. Having multiple people talking in a single thread creates exactly this kind of confusion.

gokart2

Post by gokart2 »

@mike, I started another thread HERE.

timarc

Post by timarc »

To be Continued... Please see: Eat Driver with a side of Crow
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=74139#p375880

Ely_DS

Post by Ely_DS »

I have the same problem. I've installed FTDI drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm however Arduino IDE does not see Metro board that I have. The board shows up in Device Manager. I first had it assigned to COM11 but later changed to COM2 to see if that will help. Still nothing. The green LED stays up on Metro when it's plugged in but Arduino IDE sees no COM2 (or COM11 for that matter).
capture_0.png
capture_0.png (319.86 KiB) Viewed 1879 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”