VB or C#?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
urbanmiles

VB or C#?

Post by urbanmiles »

Hi everyone, I would like to ask for your opinions on a matter regarding:

"the better language to use for auxiliary programs for arduino"

In general point of view
and not depending on a specific purpose/use of an arduino auxiliary program (so it may be either for controlling arduino / monitoring or other purposes),
which from Visual Basic and C# is better to use ?

I searched for differences between these two, but I just want to hear it from real arduino users from this forum . Thanks in advance for your responses.

Franklin97355

Re: VB or C#?

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Arduino is programmed with a variant of c++ but if you want to write bare code for the Atmel chip you could use anything that will compile and link the code. I'm not sure there is any programs out there that do that though.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

I think the question is directed to creating code for a Windows machine to be in 2-way communication with Arduino. I suppose the answer is a combination of whichever language is more familiar to you, and whichever environment has the right tools for the job (wifi, image processing, real time control, etc.). I'm a beginner looking at Processing.org, myself.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Both VB and C# are based on the Common Language Infrastucture (CLI). For the most part, anything you can do in one, you can do in the other. The difference is in what the source code looks like.

C# is a relatively modern general purpose programming language designed from the ground up with object and component oriented programming features.
VB is a distant descendent of the original BASIC programming language, with some more modern features tacked on over the years.

Personally, I prefer C#. But there are plenty of VB fans out there still.

PilotC150

Post by PilotC150 »

I would recommend C#, though I'm a bit biased since I've been working on it since .NET 2.0.

My main reason, though, is that since C# syntax is (generally speaking) a combination of C and Java, it's going to be closer to what you're writing for Arduino. The syntax will be more familiar and it'll be easier to learn both.

Since VB is based on Basic (from a loooong time ago) there are some things in there that just don't make sense when comparing to more modern languages.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”