pro trinket on usb

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
twitchyraccoon

pro trinket on usb

Post by twitchyraccoon »

I am using the arduino 1.6.5 ide and I have the pro trinket board setup, but whenever i plug the pro trinket into my pc i don`t get anything from the serial port. So i can`t upload anything onto my pro trinket via the usb on the pro trinket

adafruit_support_bill

Re: pro trinket on usb

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What operating system are you using? Does your pc recognize when the Pro Trinket has been plugged in?

twitchyraccoon

Post by twitchyraccoon »

My pc`s operating system is windows 8, and it does notice when i plug in my pro trinket but the arduino ide doesn't.

adafruit_support_bill

How does it show up in the Device Manager? Have you installed the driver?
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... or-windows

twitchyraccoon

Post by twitchyraccoon »

On my device manager it shows up as usbtiny. I haven't installed the drivers yet but whenever i go to the adafruit page for installing the drivers, i get an safety error message when i click on the link, For details on installing the drivers for Windows XP, 7, 8 etc... please read this page!

adafruit_support_bill

You will need to install the driver to communicate with it via USB. Windows 8 will insist on a signed driver. And you will likely need to run as Administrator to install it.

I'm not sure what the safety issue is with the tutorial link. I am seeing that here too. I will notify our web team. The signed driver link just below it seems to work fine though. There are installers for 32 and 64-boit versions of Windows.

twitchyraccoon

Post by twitchyraccoon »

how do i install a the driver for my pro trinket

adafruit_support_bill

Download the zip file from the link above and run the installer.

digital janitor

Post by digital janitor »

I read over this post as I am having the same issue, only on Win 7.

I was able to get to the driver download and installed them.
- The link to Win 7 Ect. does not work so I clicked the green button and got the usbtiny_signed_8.zip file.
- There is no real install for the drivers, in the zip file there are 2 exe files, 32/64 bit. These do not run on Win 7, you get this error;
This application can not be run from the command line.
Please use your initial installer application if you want to install the driver.
But you will have to run it from DOS to read it as it goes to fast running it from Windows

I assumed that was to be run by Windows to install the drivers so I right clicked on the inf file and chose install.
I assume Win 8 still has a Device Mangler so you can go to the device;
- Right click on it then choose update driver
- Use the "browse to the folder yourself" option and do so. Your looking for the folder with the USBtiny.inf file in it.
- Complete the Wizard.
I don't know if that does anything different than right clicking on the inf file or not but the wizard did not seem to work for me.
- Keep in mind I was still using a USB 2.0 port at this point. To help insure it comes up right I have to use an old USB 1.0 hub. 2.0 comes up with not recognized almost every single time.

I have also installed the Board Def. but the latest they had was for Arduino 1.6.4 for windows. (we are using 1.6.5).
- https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... ot-6-x-ide

I have flashed my Pro Trinket using this process;
- https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Results
- My Pro Trinket (5v/16MHz) appears in Device Mangler as a USBtiny, as it should I believe.
- - It was in USB controllers as an unsupported device at first.
- The Trinket boards do show up in my IDE for both USB and FTDI, after installing the Board Def.
- The 1.6.5 IDE NEVER sees the device on the USB port even if you reset to go in to bootloader mode.
- - Bootloader mode does seem to run for about 10 seconds even when reset.
- The FTDI cable creates a COM port just by plugging it in, that is noticed by the 1.6.5 IDE
- Uising FTDI I CAN upload without error as long as I choose Pro Trinket...(FTDI)
- The IDE returns
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
...if I try to upload using Pro Trinket...(USB) even though it dose not see a port. I was praying that it would work since it was in Device Mangler.

It seems like it may be with the 1.6.5 IDE but that is just a guess.

Anyway wanted to chime in, your not alone!

adafruit_support_bill

Not sure about the IDE issues. I'll check into that.

If you are having to use USB 1.0 to make it work, I would try swapping cables. The older, slower protocols are more tolerant of marginal cables & connectors. We often see similar communication problems with USB 3.0. USB 2.0 generally works reliably for most people.

digital janitor

USB 1.0 only allows it to show up as the USBtiny in Device Manager, it still does not work for programming as the IDE does not see the device on a port.
The cable I have is a very thick USB cable and only about 1.5 feet long. It's much thicker than any cable I have ever gotten from adafruit and is normally used with an external HD. I had used a thinner one to start but to make sure I got the thickest cable I could find.

No matter what I try I can not get 1.6.5 IDE to see the Pro Trinket on a USB Port even though it does show up in Device Manager.

Is the usbtiny_signed_8.zip good for windows 7 drivers?
Should it show up in Device Manager as USBtiny or should there be more information in the name?
Was I correct in my assumption that the exe files need to be run by Windows during the driver install?
Does right clicking on the inf file then choosing install from the menu do the same as using the device manager wizard to install the drivers?

Thank you for your help adafruit_support_bill!

adafruit_support_bill

Thickness is not the only measure of a good cable. Heavier wires are better for high current charging. But even good cables can suffer from contact wear on the connectors, or tolerance incompatibilities with certain jacks. If it works for your external HD, it is probably OK. But it doesn't hurt to try another if you have one.

Windows 8 uses a different hashing algorithm for signing than Windows 7, so a driver signed just for one will not work for the other.

The device should identify itself as a USBTiny to the Device Manager. You should be able to install the driver with the exe in the download. You will probably need to "Run As Administrator" - assuming that you are an admin on the machine.

Running the exe or installing via Device Manager should be equivalent. Although Device Manager sometimes has a mind of its own, so I prefer to install directly when possible.

I referred the IDE question to our IDE experts. 1.6.5 is relatively new and we haven't had much time to find all the new wrinkles.

digital janitor

Wow thanks so much for the quick reply!

The link to the Win 7 drivers was giving me the standard Adafruit 404 error but now it just says Page can not be displayed.
http://www.adafruit.com/downloads/usbti ... .2.1.0.zip

Can you provide a working link to the latest Win 7 drivers?

As I mentioned the thicker one was the second one I used. I guess I could try a third but the thick cable is new, came with a new external HD which is why I tried it so I would guess it's not a port or cable issues, especially since I am not the only one who has had this issue using the 1.6.5 IDE.

This would lead me to assume that...
1. My drivers are not working as they should since it appears I used Windows 8 drivers on Windows 7.
- Though the device appears in Device Mangler properly.
OR
2. There is an issue with the 1.6.5 IDE connecting the Pro Trinket via USB.

Having said that, your the smart one between the 2 of us. ;)

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_bill

This is the link in the Downloads section of the tutorial. It appears to be signed for both 7 and 8. https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /downloads
http://www.adafruit.com/downloads/usbtiny_signed_8.zip

The device will appear in the Device Manager - even before the driver is installed - but the IDE will not see it.

digital janitor

Thank you very much for the info. Looks like am good driver wise then as well. Looking forward to seeing if you find anything specific about the 1.6.5 IDE.

Take care and thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”