Moving from Pro Trinket to Trinket Mini

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jayohh

Moving from Pro Trinket to Trinket Mini

Post by jayohh »

I have a working system with a Pro Trinket and the LSM303DHLC module (p/n 1120). Works fine. Using 3v system so I can run from LiPo.

I am trying to move to a Trinket Mini for the smaller physical size. I updated the driver set to include Trinket Mini. I changed definitions to account for fewer ports, etc.

It won't compile cleanly with the latest errors from: from Wire.cpp: "TWBR was not declared in this scope" and from Wire.h: "void TwoWire::setClock(uint32_t)".

These errors seem to be coming from the drivers so I have the following questions:

Is there a list of changes when moving Pro to Mini?

Are there special includes and drivers for Mini? What changes need to be made to existing drivers?

Is there a better accelerometer chip to be using than LSM303 p/n 1120?

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Franklin97355

Re: Moving from Pro Trinket to Trinket Mini

Post by Franklin97355 »

TWBR is a register in the 328 on the Pro Trinket that is not available in the 85 of the Trinket. The library you are using is not compatible with the smaller chip. I don't know of another module to use but someone else might.

marke3

Post by marke3 »

Here's a tutorial using the TinyWireM library that is optimised for the Trinket.

https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-rgb-shield-clock

That might do what you need.

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

I've looked through the forums and this is the closest I've found for my topic. I'm Trying to build the Trinket RGB Shield Clock, and when I verify in the IDE I get the following:

Code: Select all

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp: In function 'void USI_TWI_Master_Initialise()':

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:48:3: error: 'PORT_USI' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SDA);           // Enable pullup on SDA, to set high as released state.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:48:19: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SDA);           // Enable pullup on SDA, to set high as released state.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:49:19: error: 'PIN_USI_SCL' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SCL);           // Enable pullup on SCL, to set high as released state.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:51:3: error: 'DDR_USI' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI  |= (1<<PIN_USI_SCL);           // Enable SCL as output.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:54:3: error: 'USIDR' was not declared in this scope

USIDR    =  0xFF;                       // Preload dataregister with "released level" data.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:55:3: error: 'USICR' was not declared in this scope

USICR    =  (0<<USISIE)|(0<<USIOIE)|                            // Disable Interrupts.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:55:19: error: 'USISIE' was not declared in this scope

USICR    =  (0<<USISIE)|(0<<USIOIE)|                            // Disable Interrupts.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:55:31: error: 'USIOIE' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:56:19: error: 'USIWM1' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USIWM1)|(0<<USIWM0)|                            // Set USI in Two-wire mode.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:56:31: error: 'USIWM0' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USIWM1)|(0<<USIWM0)|                            // Set USI in Two-wire mode.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:57:19: error: 'USICS1' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USICS1)|(0<<USICS0)|(1<<USICLK)|                // Software stobe as counter clock source

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:57:31: error: 'USICS0' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USICS1)|(0<<USICS0)|(1<<USICLK)|                // Software stobe as counter clock source

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:57:43: error: 'USICLK' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:58:19: error: 'USITC' was not declared in this scope

(0<<USITC);

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:59:3: error: 'USISR' was not declared in this scope

USISR   =   (1<<USISIF)|(1<<USIOIF)|(1<<USIPF)|(1<<USIDC)|      // Clear flags,

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:59:19: error: 'USISIF' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:59:31: error: 'USIOIF' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:59:43: error: 'USIPF' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:59:54: error: 'USIDC' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:60:21: error: 'USICNT0' was not declared in this scope

(0x0<<USICNT0);                                     // and reset counter.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp: In function 'unsigned char USI_TWI_Start_Transceiver_With_Data(unsigned char*, unsigned char)':

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:130:44: error: 'USISIF' was not declared in this scope

unsigned char const tempUSISR_8bit = (1<<USISIF)|(1<<USIOIF)|(1<<USIPF)|(1<<USIDC)|      // Prepare register value to: Clear flags, and

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:130:56: error: 'USIOIF' was not declared in this scope

unsigned char const tempUSISR_8bit = (1<<USISIF)|(1<<USIOIF)|(1<<USIPF)|(1<<USIDC)|      // Prepare register value to: Clear flags, and

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:130:68: error: 'USIPF' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:130:79: error: 'USIDC' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:131:40: error: 'USICNT0' was not declared in this scope

(0x0<<USICNT0);                                     // set USI to shift 8 bits i.e. count 16 clock edges.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:196:7: error: 'PORT_USI' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SCL);                // Pull SCL LOW.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:196:24: error: 'PIN_USI_SCL' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SCL);                // Pull SCL LOW.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:197:7: error: 'USIDR' was not declared in this scope

USIDR     = *(msg++);                        // Setup data.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:201:7: error: 'DDR_USI' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI  &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);                // Enable SDA as input.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:201:24: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI  &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);                // Enable SDA as input.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:234:7: error: 'DDR_USI' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI   &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);               // Enable SDA as input.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:234:25: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI   &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);               // Enable SDA as input.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:240:9: error: 'USIDR' was not declared in this scope

USIDR = 0xFF;                              // Load NACK to confirm End Of Transmission.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:244:9: error: 'USIDR' was not declared in this scope

USIDR = 0x00;                              // Load ACK. Set data register bit 7 (output for SDA) low.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp: In function 'unsigned char USI_TWI_Master_Transfer(unsigned char)':

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:263:3: error: 'USISR' was not declared in this scope

USISR = temp;                                     // Set USISR according to temp.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:265:16: error: 'USISIE' was not declared in this scope

temp  =  (0<<USISIE)|(0<<USIOIE)|                 // Interrupts disabled

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:265:28: error: 'USIOIE' was not declared in this scope

temp  =  (0<<USISIE)|(0<<USIOIE)|                 // Interrupts disabled

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:266:16: error: 'USIWM1' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USIWM1)|(0<<USIWM0)|                 // Set USI in Two-wire mode.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:266:28: error: 'USIWM0' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USIWM1)|(0<<USIWM0)|                 // Set USI in Two-wire mode.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:267:16: error: 'USICS1' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USICS1)|(0<<USICS0)|(1<<USICLK)|     // Software clock strobe as source.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:267:28: error: 'USICS0' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:267:40: error: 'USICLK' was not declared in this scope

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:268:16: error: 'USITC' was not declared in this scope

(1<<USITC);                              // Toggle Clock Port.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:272:5: error: 'USICR' was not declared in this scope

USICR = temp;                          // Generate positve SCL edge.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:273:14: error: 'PIN_USI' was not declared in this scope

while( !(PIN_USI & (1<<PIN_USI_SCL)) );// Wait for SCL to go high.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:273:28: error: 'PIN_USI_SCL' was not declared in this scope

while( !(PIN_USI & (1<<PIN_USI_SCL)) );// Wait for SCL to go high.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:276:25: error: 'USIOIF' was not declared in this scope

}while( !(USISR & (1<<USIOIF)) );        // Check for transfer complete.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:279:11: error: 'USIDR' was not declared in this scope

temp  = USIDR;                           // Read out data.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:281:3: error: 'DDR_USI' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SDA);             // Enable SDA as output.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:281:18: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

DDR_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SDA);             // Enable SDA as output.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp: In function 'unsigned char USI_TWI_Master_Start()':

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:291:3: error: 'PORT_USI' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SCL);                     // Release SCL.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:291:19: error: 'PIN_USI_SCL' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SCL);                     // Release SCL.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:296:20: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);                    // Force SDA LOW.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:302:9: error: 'USISR' was not declared in this scope

if( !(USISR & (1<<USISIF)) )

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:302:21: error: 'USISIF' was not declared in this scope

if( !(USISR & (1<<USISIF)) )

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp: In function 'unsigned char USI_TWI_Master_Stop()':

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:316:3: error: 'PORT_USI' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);           // Pull SDA low.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:316:20: error: 'PIN_USI_SDA' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI &= ~(1<<PIN_USI_SDA);           // Pull SDA low.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:317:19: error: 'PIN_USI_SCL' was not declared in this scope

PORT_USI |= (1<<PIN_USI_SCL);            // Release SCL.

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:318:12: error: 'PIN_USI' was not declared in this scope

while( !(PIN_USI & (1<<PIN_USI_SCL)) );  // Wait for SCL to go high.  

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:324:9: error: 'USISR' was not declared in this scope

if( !(USISR & (1<<USIPF)) )

^

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TinyWireM\USI_TWI_Master.cpp:324:21: error: 'USIPF' was not declared in this scope

if( !(USISR & (1<<USIPF)) )

^

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

Am I using the wrong Tiny wire library?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try using version 1.6.5 instead of 1.6.7. Which processor are you trying to compile for the error says Uno but you talk about Trinket and Pro Trinket.

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

Thank you. I completely forgot to check that board option, I had it set for Uno when it should have been Adafruit Trinket, I'm new to this so there are lots of rookie mistakes. I selected to 16MHz because I'm using the 5 volt. So that compile error went away, now I get:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Adafruit Trinket 16MHz"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\Wire.cpp: In member function 'void TwoWire::setClock(uint32_t)':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\Wire.cpp:85:3: error: 'TWBR' was not declared in this scope

TWBR = ((F_CPU / frequency) - 16) / 2;

^

exit status 1
Error compiling.

Still, is this a library issue?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

TWBR is a register in the 328 on the Pro Trinket that is not available in the 85 of the Trinket.

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

The sketch I'm using was made to be used with a regular 5 volt Trinket.

http://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-rgb-shield-clock

I cant understand why it's calling out something for a Trinket Pro.

marke3

Post by marke3 »

You seem to have switched to the Wire library. If you are using a Trinket, switch back to TinyWireM per your original post.

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

This is very frustrating. I am using the TinyWireM library. I dont know enough yet to really understand where I might be going wrong.

I did first notice and fix one problem before I even posted this problem, the second library called out, the Adafruit_RGBLCDShield.h had the word "Tiny" in front of it. That was a huge error compiling. I thought I was doing ok fixing that one.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Re download the code and try it again. There was an error and it should be fixed.

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

Started completely from scratch. Uninstalled 1.6.7 installed 1.6.5. Ran the trinket blink script, ran great. Went back to the the sketch to set the date and time for the DS1307 and I get this:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Adafruit Trinket 8MHz"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\Wire.cpp: In member function 'void TwoWire::setClock(uint32_t)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\Wire.cpp:80:3: error: 'TWBR' was not declared in this scope
   TWBR = ((F_CPU / frequency) - 16) / 2;
   ^
Error compiling.

I'm about to take up bird watching as my new hobby, less stressful.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

'TWBR' was not declared in this scope
TWBR is not an ATtiny85 register so this code will not work with a Trinket.

marke3

Post by marke3 »

The error in Wire.m is there in your messages. Are you using RTClib.h? There is an include for Wire.h in that so that may be where it is sneaking in. Try TinyRTClib.h

janowatzki

Post by janowatzki »

Changed it to this:

/*********************
Sketch to set the time and date for the DS1307 Real Time Clock
with an Adafruit Trinket mini microcontroller
**********************/
// include the library code:
#include <TinyWireM.h>
#include <TinyRTClib.h>
RTC_DS1307 RTC;
void setup() {
RTC.begin();
if(!RTC.isrunning()) {
RTC.adjust(DateTime(__DATE__, __TIME__));
}
}
Got this error:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Adafruit Trinket 8MHz"

c:/program files (x86)/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.8.1/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: Dwarf Error: mangled line number section.
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local\Temp\build495877545693886820.tmp/core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':
main.cpp:(.text.startup.main+0xa): undefined reference to `loop'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Error compiling.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”