Need suggestions for powering my project

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
terryb

Need suggestions for powering my project

Post by terryb »

Hi,

I'm working on a project that uses a Pro Trinket 5V, a Fona breakout board, and a 4-relay breakout board. How can I wire my project so I only have one power supply? I will only activate one relay at a time and only for 10 seconds at most. The Fona however, needs constant power so I have a battery connected in case of power failure but I also need it to be constantly charging.

Any suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Need suggestions for powering my project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Something like a 5v power adapter with a USB jack and a splitter cable with 2 micro USB connectors would power the Pro Trinket & the FONA. You could tap power from the Trinket for the relay board (assuming it is happy with 5v also). 2A should be more than enough to power everything while simultaneously recharging.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1994

terryb

Post by terryb »

Thanks Bill. I haven't been able to find a splitter cable with 2 micro USB connectors off the shelf but I'm pretty sure I can make one. My main concern was if one adapter would be able to handle the power requirement so thanks for pointing out that there's a 2A version of the USB power supply. I bought a few of the 1A ones and never knew there was a 2A version. Also, you're right, the relay board does use 5V so I guess my problem is solved. Thanks for your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I've seen the micro-usb splitters on eBay for less than the cost of the parts. But then, that's eBay. If you build it yourself, you know it will be good.

terryb

Post by terryb »

I found them on eBay and ordered a couple but I made one to use while waiting for my order to arrive. Thanks again Bill!

chickeneater123

Post by chickeneater123 »

Do you want this project to be portable???

terryb

Post by terryb »

Not necessarily but as an upgrade I'd like to add battery backup to it later on. For now I just want to be able to shrink it down as much as possible and use cheaper versions of the components I used to prototype it. As soon as I have the power sorted out I plan on moving it to a perma proto board and put it in a suitable enclosure.

chickeneater123

Post by chickeneater123 »

ok nvm then b/c i was thinking about a 1-2 cell lipo but thats for portable stuff

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”