Clarification Regarding Availability of "Real" Arduino, Plea

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Deuce2111

Clarification Regarding Availability of "Real" Arduino, Plea

Post by Deuce2111 »

To start, I ask forgiveness if this pours salt on a wound that stings too much already, as well if this post is in the wrong place...

A month or two ago, I began blue-skying an "activity box" for my son, and have recently decided some of the function would best be served by an Arduino of some ilk. However, upon researching the various models of Arduino, it was inevitable that I stumble across the subject of the rift among the founding members of the Arduino brand, and the resulting childish game of "I was here, first!" But it is not my intent to delve into that mess, directly, at least.

It is my intent, though, to obtain some clarification on the Arduino boards available from Adafruit. The "Arduino / Boards" section lists two subsections, ".cc" and "other". While I do not ask for an explanation of the Arduino.cc website, I do note they list a large number of boards in their comparison, yet only three in the store: the Uno rev. 3; the Mega 2560 rev. 3; and the ZERO. In the Adafruit "Arduino / Boards / Arduino.cc Boards" section I see the M0 instead of the ZERO, the ZERO being listed in the "Arduino / Boards / Other Boards" section. Is this simply a product of the unsettled, ambiguous state of "Arduino"?

As well, might I be incorrect to conclude the Arduino spat is, in part, why a number of Arduino boards have been out of stock for a relatively prolonged period? As I've learned Adafruit is a manufacturer of (at least some models of) Arduino boards, I would think the legal fracas might put a slight kink in production and/or sales. Tough spot should there be any sentiment one way or the other..

I understand much hay has been scythed over "supporting-with-the-dollar" one entity or the other, and it is distressing that fallen human nature can lead to such choices. This, and Microchip buying Atmel could scare off enough people from even bothering with Arduinos...

James

Franklin97355

Re: Clarification Regarding Availability of "Real" Arduino,

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you are in the US arduino.cc is the official boards from the original designers. In Europe it is the Genuino. Adafruit is a licensed manufacturer of some arduino boards and we also make the Metro (Uno based) and the Pro Trinket and Feather boards that are Arduino like. Arduino.org was the break away group and they make some of their own boards. Most of the other boards listed on the Arduino.cc site are either out of production (superceeded) or made by other companies (SparkFun, Seeed, Solarbotics, etc.) We have over 100 Genuine Arduino Uno R3s in stock.

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

Deuce2111 wrote:In the Adafruit "Arduino / Boards / Arduino.cc Boards" section I see the M0 instead of the ZERO, the ZERO being listed in the "Arduino / Boards / Other Boards" section.
I think this is just a categorization bug. If you look at the arduino.whatever websites, the M0 is clearly an arduino.org board, and the Zero is clearly an arduino.cc baord.

(not an Adafruit employee)

harrzack

Post by harrzack »

I think the "M0" (Em-Zero" refers to the Cortex-ARM processor used in the originally-named "Arduino Zero". There are a number of M-Series Cortex processors - M0 is the basic version and M3 is the moderately priced version with everything except the floating-point processor. That appears in the M4. BTW - this is a VERY interesting family of chips to look into once you've gotten comfortable with the Atmega 328 family...

Deuce2111

Post by Deuce2111 »

franklin97355 wrote:If you are in the US arduino.cc is the official boards from the original designers. In Europe it is the Genuino. Adafruit is a licensed manufacturer of some arduino boards and we also make the Metro (Uno based) and the Pro Trinket and Feather boards that are Arduino like. Arduino.org was the break away group and they make some of their own boards. Most of the other boards listed on the Arduino.cc site are either out of production (superceeded) or made by other companies (SparkFun, Seeed, Solarbotics, etc.) We have over 100 Genuine Arduino Uno R3s in stock.
Much of that I've been sorting out, but mostly I was curious about what looked like an inconsistency in the Adafruit categories, in that arduino.cc listed the Zero, yet Adafruit listed the M0 as a ".cc" board. My confusion seems more likely addressed by dhalbert's post, as the M0 is listed on the ".org" site... perhaps simply a listing error?

Deuce2111

Post by Deuce2111 »

dhalbert wrote:
Deuce2111 wrote:In the Adafruit "Arduino / Boards / Arduino.cc Boards" section I see the M0 instead of the ZERO, the ZERO being listed in the "Arduino / Boards / Other Boards" section.
I think this is just a categorization bug. If you look at the arduino.whatever websites, the M0 is clearly an arduino.org board, and the Zero is clearly an arduino.cc baord.

(not an Adafruit employee)
That was what I was wondering, and why I was asking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”