Market Research?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
incoherent

Market Research?

Post by incoherent »

I've been idly thinking about starting a kitbiz for years. Now I'm thinking about it a bit harder as I was recently laid off after 8+ years with a major semi manufacturer (one that was really starting to embrace open source, too).

Unfortunately, there's precious little market data available since the players are necessarily small businesses.
Can you give us any hint of what the market looks like?

For instance, I'd love to know how many MintyBoosts have been sold.

What sells best:
  • Gee-whiz flashing light, POV, Drawdio type things
  • Solves-a-real-problem products (like MintyBoost)
  • Hacker/hobbyist products (Arduino/Boarduino/shield)

And how have sales changed over the years?

LadyAda & Adafruit has gotten a lot of well-deserved exposure (and presumably lift) from Make, and MakerFaire and numerous speaking engagements. Now I can't overstate the value Ladyada has given back to the community by sharing her experiences; but can a guy like me hope to reproduce that success, or has Ladyada become a bit of a figurehead for DIY/OSH that just can't be recreated by an also-ran?

Anybody willing to share some data is welcome to do so...

Regards,
--incoherent

adafruit

Re: Market Research?

Post by adafruit »

about 10k mintyboosts have been sold, and its the best seller. i always suggest $20 kits to start. but it still takes years to build a business!

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”