New Project for my Vegetable Oil Empire

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
leongriffin

New Project for my Vegetable Oil Empire

Post by leongriffin »

Thank you Adafruit for your website and contributions to the open source community.

I run an online business providing equipment and information to people running their diesel vehicles on vegetable oil...niche for sure!

Anyway, I am a mechanical engineer and find that I have an electronic project. While I could (probably) solder two wires together if I was pressed I don't have any electronics background. I certainly can handle the enclosure and mechanical packaging but I really do need some help with the board, components and especially the programming.

The project is a controller for the additional fuel system required for vegetable oil. ie, it turns on and off depending on temperature, fuel pressure plus some display and a shutdown sequence. There is an expensive competitive product here: http://vocontrol.com/cart/

I love open source and was planning on a modified Arduino platform to produce higher power outputs (to control 12V automotive relays) and the complete designs would include buttons, LCD screen and probably a custom enclosure. In addition to providing the complete product at a more reasonable cost I would release the design to open source.

Let me know if you know of anyone that would be interested in this project. I can handle the mechanical packaging and funding for the help.

Thanks,
> Leon Griffin

streety

Re: New Project for my Vegetable Oil Empire

Post by streety »

I hadn't even realised this was possible. I thought you had to process veg oil into biodiesel before it could be used in an engine. Sounds like an interesting project.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we know mikey sklar has a veggie car, and hes into electronics. we do know hes very busy so not sure he can -personally- help but perhaps can point you along the way?
http://screwdecaf.cx/

scottmcphee

Post by scottmcphee »

I made an Atmel AVR based SVO controller in my veggy car. Written in assembler. Uses ULN2003 to drive relays and solenoids and valves to change fuel flows, and has opto isolated inputs for feedback. A few switches and a few LEDs, one temp input, lotsa timing and logic and it gets the job done.

I got hold of Arduino, and used it for my last project - an 433Mhz RF pair for industrial control. Loved using the platform. Way more productive, and fast to make design changes in response to client needs and wants. Got my kid onto it, and now he's made a 4x4x4 LED cube and doing Arduino as an option at school - his principal is hooked on it too and is the biggest fan.

On my veggy car, I have just added heated injector lines and these need control. On each line I put a temperature sensor near the injector. Plus a couple other sensors in strategic spots. Ran out of I/O pins on my AVR controller. So I've ordered the Arduino MEGA 1280 (live large!) and a 2x24 LCD to get temps showing in my car... I am probably going to add function on this Arduino platform to make it eventually replace all the function of the AVR veggy controller. The MEGA has way more room to move and crazy amount of I/O to do whatever... But the first job will simply be to show temps, and controller the heaters on/off cycles -- they more than 20 Amps so it's best not have them on if they don't need to be.

I will keep the LCD apart from the controller box, so it can be mounted wherever in the car. The best place looks like it will be on top of the steering column, can be seen easily while driving by glancing down from the main cluster. I'll make another box for input control buttons I can stick on the dash. And hide the MEGA controller box under dash but leave USB port easily accessible for software fix/features.

granzeier

Post by granzeier »

Leon,

Are you interested in only getting a (sub)contractor to help with this project? Or, would you rather learn control systems for yourself?

The reason that I am asking, is that I am currently closing in on production for a kit/book to teach the basics of microcontrollers. My brother is a civil engineer who also knows nothing about microprocessor-based control systems. As an EE who has been in computers from before my career started, I know quite a bit about them. I designed this project, partially, to help engineers like my brother (and you?) learn how to implement micro-control systems into their designs.

I hope to be ready for beta testing within a couple of weeks. Would you be interested in becoming a beta tester for this kit/book?

Art

leongriffin

Post by leongriffin »

Art,

I still have this project in the wings so to speak. As often the case, I may be forced to do it myself. The issue being setting aside the solid blocks of time required for the required learning and design work.

I would be interested in seeing your book, I would certainly be able to let you know if it is helpful or not for someone in my position.

Leon

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”