Board Population

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
majolsurf

Board Population

Post by majolsurf »

Hey gang, long time listener first time caller... or something like that...

I have a design that I'd like to make commercially available in two formats: kit and manufactured. Given that my intended market is hobbyists I'd like to keep costs down. Certainly kits are cheaper, but I'd like to make the board available to the "hobbyist-in-a-hurry" who wants to get the board in the mail and go. Thus I need a production version which will feature surface mount components. I'm a professional and would prefer not to spend my evenings slaving over a microscope and solder-station.

I've seen some pcb manufacturers that provide board population services. Has anyone here had success with such a service? I have yet to get a quote generated and was hoping to get a feel about the costs involved from those who have experience in this area. Specific questions:

1. What cost can I expect per board/batch/component?
2. Who does the best work?
3. Cheapest?
4. Do such companies perform testing on the boards they produce?
5. Do I need to submit Design-for-Test patterns or documentation?
6. Are there reasonably priced fab-houses inside the U.S. or is China the way to go?

Thanks! :)

macegr

Re: Board Population

Post by macegr »

For China, expect to pay 1 or 2 cents per solder joint and 8 to 15 cents per square inch of PCB area. For the USA, figure at least three to ten times as much. These assume orders of at least 100 boards.

majolsurf

Post by majolsurf »

Thanks for the info. Anyone had success with any particular vendor in China? Is the quality worth the price in the U.S?

macegr

Post by macegr »

There is rarely any quality difference, China is where most of the PCBs in everything are made already. Usually the advantage of using a USA supplier is being able to communicate your specifications clearly, and getting results quickly. Depending on price, you can get boards made in the USA in as little as one day. Figure at least two weeks with shipping for any China supplier. And right now, figure four or five weeks...the country is shutting down for the New Year celebration, and nothing goes in or out.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i find that there can be a difference, the 'reworkability' of say gold phoenix pcbs is not nearly as high as 4pcb. if you're making one its not a big deal, tho.

sirket

Post by sirket »

macegr wrote:Usually the advantage of using a USA supplier is being able to communicate your specifications clearly, and getting results quickly.
If you live in the US then there is something to be said for supporting the home team :)

macegr

Post by macegr »

*shrug* Yeah if you are interested in that kind of charity, it could be a plus. I haven't really found any evidence that USA PCB suppliers are overall better people or more deserving of money than suppliers in China. For the sending money out of the country argument, hobbyists are the merest speck on the total trade with China. Wal-Mart, alone, does so much trade with China that monetarily they would rank in the single digits of top COUNTRIES doing trade with China.

sirket

Post by sirket »

Edited:

Suffice it to say that I consider using an American Fab house, when possible, a good idea.
Last edited by sirket on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey folks,

this is a forum area about the "kitbiz" and these are interesting topics / conversations - we realize there are politics involved in some discussions, but you're all smart and understanding and "get" our request we'd like to make. we're going to request you keep politics out of it. the thread is ok now, but it's dipping its toe in the flame-war-pool. just keep it all positive and productive, thanks :)

cheers,
adafruit

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”