where to mention "CC Attrib. & Share-Alike"

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
bastard

where to mention "CC Attrib. & Share-Alike"

Post by bastard »

Hi,

I composed a kit. It consists of a pcb (from person 1), electronic parts, a GLCD and a case (based on the Monochron case). The copyright from person 1 is printed on the pcb. But I'm not sure where I should mention the "CC Attrib. & Share-Alike" credentials of the Case.

On the ordering-page? Inside the assembly document? Both?
And I'm not sure what to mention.

Bye

Stefan

richms

Re: where to mention "CC Attrib. & Share-Alike"

Post by richms »

I would expect on the plans for the case, and on the case itself internally.

bastard

Post by bastard »

Hi,

just want to share the results - the GLCD2USB kit with case:

Gallery
Assembly instructions - german only, but many pics ...

Would Adafruit please tell me where to put the CC and what exactly. Thanks.

Stefan

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

just put a notice next to the schematics, thats fine :)

bastard

Post by bastard »

Hi,
adafruit wrote:a notice
what notice?

westfw

Post by westfw »

Are you more concerned with meeting the requirements of the people you shared FROM, or setting the requirements for the people who might share from you? For the former, you only have to meet the expectations of the source and be polite, while the latter might have legal implications too subtle to have impacted the community yet (although generally copyright law seems to have been made to hinge on intent rather than specific mechanical conformance.)

From my vague legal understanding, CC is essentially a license clarifying the expectations of people holding copyright rights, so it should appear anywhere you have or quote a copyright. The chain of attributions on a large software project can get pretty impressive; I don't see any reason that this won't happen for OSHW as well.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”