Where to sell?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
bt2

Where to sell?

Post by bt2 »

Hi All,

I'm just getting into the OSH movement and am working on my first OS project. I'm an EE by day but working on my own project idea that will be OS has been pretty exciting. I find myself coming up with an ever increasing list of future project ideas. I'd like to start selling kits when I'm done with my first to help subsidize my new hobby and keep the wife happy but my real interest is in design, not manufacturing, stocking, selling, advertising, web-site design and/or whatever else goes along with selling kits.

Is there a simple way to sell kits, preferably on a site already catering to OSH? Do sites like this (Adafruit) sell other people's kits or do they stick mostly to their own designs? Are there other OSH marketplaces I don't know about? I feel like having many OSH sites, each with their own products, forums, etc., is inefficient. It is probably in everyone's interest to share a common site that would allow more traffic and consolidated information. This might not be the best idea for people or companies focusing on a particular type of product but my project ideas are frankly, all over the map. And if I were to go through all the effort to create a site for my first project, it would be a pretty lonely site. I'd be embarrassed to even promote it until I got a few other projects on there.

Just curious to others experience here on the best way to sell kits or OSH without having to do much selling work (which doesn't seem fun) so more time can be spent on the design and documentation work, which is fun.

Boz

Re: Where to sell?

Post by Boz »

Check out http://www.gadgetgangster.com his business model is exactly what you are talking about, I believe.

Boz

bt2

Re: Where to sell?

Post by bt2 »

Thanks Boz, looks interesting although you are limited to their stocked parts, which wouldn't work for me. They seem flexible though so maybe I could just build some units with my own stuff and ship them to them.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”