data logging/sampling systems

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
tekbasse

data logging/sampling systems

Post by tekbasse »

Hello,

Do any of the Arduino kits monitor multiple data-points from various sensors either sequentially or or simultaneously?

I'm looking for an open-hardware licensed data-logging solution for:

1. solar heating applications (as a DIY digital differential controller and multizone controller) by connecting thermistors at critical points in hot water and hydronic home heating systems.

2. to monitor the per-circuit-breaker power usage (for DIY home power monitoring) by connecting AC current transducers to each of the hot wires at the circuit-breaker box.

3. for testing/monitoring solar water heating collectors in innovative configurations, for example, so panels provide max heat in winter but are adequately shaded in summer to prevent heat overloading..

Are there any existing Arduino projects addressing these? If not, I would be happy to participate with any engineer interested in pursuing any of these.

Some background about me/us and why I'm posting here:

I help run DekkaSupply that sells "sustainable systems and solutions for communities and businesses that want to thrive in them". You can see a DIY wiki page that links to adafruit here: http://dekkasupply.com/xowiki/solar-diy-resources We prefer to resell products from experts etc. We run a paperless office using open-source software. I operate a truly sustainable, scalable data center design project using open-hardware designs, open-source software etc. called LotusGreenDataCenters with variations for various climates and terrain. The website is temporarily offline. This data logging project would be incorporated into it as part of a continual improvement strategy in energy/heat management for various modular designs.

kind regards,

Benjamin Brink

adafruit

Re: data logging/sampling systems

Post by adafruit »

our datalogger shield is open source hardware/software and can log pretty much anything you can stick onto an arduino, with 4 analog inputs (you can always connect another ADC for more analog in's)

tekbasse

Post by tekbasse »

Wonderful!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a fuel consumption gauge for a home much like how cars have them?

An energy consumption gauge at each circuit breaker could help contain an out of control electric utility bill, or help manage consumption if running on an off-grid system with limited power.

Assuming an energy consumption monitor takes input from measuring amps at each circuit breaker via an AC current transducer, could the solar logger project ( http://www.ladyada.net/make/solarlogger/ ) measure output from the AC transducers without revision?

What are the limits for input on the Solar Logger?

Is the Solar Logger capable of driving a multiplexor and the data logging subdivided accordingly? If not, does it just require some reprogramming the arduino?

I have zero experience with arduino. Are there any limitations that I should look out for with this project?

Can you recommend a different approach than revising the Solar Logger project to use a multiplexor?

kind regards,

Benjamin

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the solar logger is specialized for low voltage DC.
we suggest getting an arduino starter pack and doing all our tutorials. then perhaps reading another book as well for background on how to program if you dont know. then assemble the datalogger shield and find the sensor you want. google may help you find a good sensor and schematic. once you get the sensor working, its easy to have it log.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”