bar code scanner for parts bags?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
george_graves

bar code scanner for parts bags?

Post by george_graves »

I'm feeling the need to do a bunch of unnecessary organizing (can you tell I'm trying to avoid work?)

Does anyone know what type of bar code scanner would be required to scan in the parts numbers off of mouser/DK bags?

Here's what I'm talking about.

I bought one of those cue-cats off of ebay, and these bar codes are far too small for it.

What type of bar code scanner do I need? Any recommendations make/model?

Thanks!

gg

kruzan

Re: bar code scanner for parts bags?

Post by kruzan »

did you get a modified or unmodified cuecat?

check out this site http://www.ce xx.org/cuecat.htm (remove the space)
do the confuse a cat thing

also you swipe the scanner across the barcode...

kruzan

Post by kruzan »

as for the type, thats a decision you will have to make. handheld, there basicly is pen type and grip type. the pen type are comfortable to use when scanning barcodes from printed documents (like that label) the grip type are good for scanning at a distance, you dont have to have contact with the barcode to scan it, however it takes practice to get one particular barcode out of a group (like on that label)

watch out for the connection, there are serial, ps2, usb

if you can, get one that is a standalone usb device

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

Thanks!

But...Why does it matter if my cuecat is modified? Form everything I can tell it's not designed to scan such small bar codes. Does modifying it change that? Anyways...

And yes, I'm looking for a USB scanner - form factor isn't as important as the ability to scan small bar codes.

westfw

Post by westfw »

There's some software out there that will let your web-cam or cell-phone interpret bar codes...

I've spend some time volunteering at libraries with laser (non-contact) barcode scanners. They're great! Also expensive :-(

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The school bought some of these http://www.opticonusa.com/pdf/Wireless_OPN2001-INC.pdf There non contact and seem to work fine but the download is a bit funky. They do come with an api so you could write your own program.

kruzan

Post by kruzan »

most any barcode scanner will read any size barcode as long as it supports the type of barcode.

the barcode on the bag is code39

the reason cuecat needs modified is because it is designed for a specific purpose, they were given away free with some magizines, the output of the scanner is encrypted (i think there was a software download as well) once modified it's not encrypted. think of it like modding a BANNED or something.

richms

Post by richms »

Depends on the format of the barcodes. Most scanners can do all of them, but they come with an incredibly long book of setup barcodes so you can disable some formats and choose what it types before and after the barcode is input (like tab enter after each scan etc)

If you get a used one, have a quick google and check you can find the manual for it in a format that will print and scan before buying, as without it you might have it typing stuff you dont want after each scan. I would suggest looking thru local liquidatoin auctions for one out of a shop thats gone broke. Just be aware that some PS2 ones need a keyboard connected to the passthru to work properly, even when using an active PS2 to USB adapter.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

kruzan wrote:most any barcode scanner will read any size barcode as long as it supports the type of barcode.
Now this, I know not to be true.
kruzan wrote:the reason cuecat needs modified is because it is designed for a specific purpose,
But modding it wont' change the size of barcode it can scan. Oh well - I'll find one. Thanks for you help.

kruzan

Post by kruzan »

george graves wrote:
kruzan wrote:most any barcode scanner will read any size barcode as long as it supports the type of barcode.
Now this, I know not to be true.
i am talking size of barcode itself if you take the string 123456 and make a barcode of different sizes. like so:
granted that cuecat may not have high enough resolution, or that particular label is super tiny, but the majority of handheld barcode scanners are able to read a line thickness of just .33 mm (the smaller barcode)

also looking again the label you showed theose do not appear to be code39 barcodes, not sure what those are, we only deal with the code39

kruzan

Post by kruzan »

they are code 128 barcodes according to the scanner i have here

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

My cell phone sw says the same thing. The Mouser codes aren't terribly interesting--date, qty, and supplier. Basically the same as the text next to them.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”