CE mark

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
rocketgeek

CE mark

Post by rocketgeek »

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to put the CE mark on a product that is an intentional radiator? I have someone who wants to buy a big pile of my Zigduino boards (www.logos-electro.com), but they need the CE mark. I am selling them as kits rather than completed products to avoid most of the compliance requirements for my normal sales, but this a big enough order that it's probably worth jumping through the hoops, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out what they are. Any suggestions?

Franklin97355

Re: CE mark

Post by Franklin97355 »

rascalmicro

Post by rascalmicro »

I think you might be confusing the CE mark with electromagnetic emissions testing. My understanding is that CE is a broad approval that means you comply with a series of directives, one of which is related to RF emissions. In Europe, RF emissions testing falls under what's called CISPR 22, which is the same as EN55022-- it's very similar to FCC Part 15 in the US, but with slightly different limits at different frequencies.

I am not certain about whether CISPR 22 also covers intentional radiators-- if you're using an ISM band, you need to pass CISPR 11 (EN55011). The directive that covers household TVs and radios, CISPR 13 (EN55013), may also be relevant.

Here's an answer I wrote on electronics.stackexchange.com about FCC testing: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... /5205#5205 The details are wrong for CISPR testing, but I think the overall picture is the same.

If I were you, I'd call a test house. They'll probably be willing to explain what you need to do for the prospect of having you as a customer.

Egorio

Post by Egorio »

rascalmicro wrote: Here's an answer I wrote on electronics.stackexchange.com about FCC testing: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... /5205#5205 The details are wrong for CISPR testing, but I think the overall picture is the same.
very good explanation
Last edited by Egorio on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

technobly

Post by technobly »

$1000/hour for chamber time is pretty steep. I use a local test house (Chicago, IL area) that only charges $200 per hour. There is another place I know of that will do testing for $150 per hour. I would say your testing will take at least 2 or 3 days, and they usually work 8 hours per day.

If I were you, I would talk to all of my engineering buddies and find out who has equipment at their company for doing conducted emissions testing, and even potentially radiated emissions... and just get a baseline scan to see where you stand. I've never gone in for an official test first time and passed with flying colors, but I'm usually subjected to the harshest limits due to the products I make.

To get an official test report, you'll also have to have a test plan written that the EMC house can execute. It's usually best to ask them for a template that they've likely already written, and will give you for free.

Here's a nice little document outlining your problem by a zigbee radio MFG:
http://www.telegesis.com/downloads/gene ... l%20CE.pdf

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”