Anyone know if there is a video archive of Open Hardware Summit speakers?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Boz

Anyone know if there is a video archive of Open Hardware Summit speakers?

Post by Boz »

Wasn't able to attend the Open Hardware Summit a few weeks ago in New York but was hoping to find video of some of the speakers, most notably
Mitch Altman's and James Bowman, actually any or all of those in the Starting up in Open Hardware hour.

From the speaker list
4:00 – 5:00: Starting up in Open Hardware

Amanda Wozniak, Wyss Institute: Open-Sourcing the Engineering Process
James Bowman, Gameduino: Gameduino Story: Kickstarter to product in 90 days
Benedetta Piantella & Justin Downs, Ground Lab: Labor over Capital: how open development sustains small business and drives innovation
Bryan Newbold, Octopart: Don’t Let Price-Breaks Break the Bank: Economics of Electronic Components for Small Buyers
Nathan Seidle, Sparkfun: Where does transparency end?
Mitch Altman, Cornfield Electronics: Manufacture Your Project (and make a living doing what you love)

Thanks if anyone can help.

rascalmicro

Re: Anyone know if there is a video archive of Open Hardware Summit speakers?

Post by rascalmicro »

The live stream was archived on Ustream, but unfortunately, the videos are not broken up by speaker. Also, from what I can tell, the time labels are wrong (Pacific timezone rather than New York, I'm guessing).

Here's the summary page with all the videos: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/open-hard ... 011/videos

You can still find the speakers, if you can bear to watch a few ads.

In http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17287304
Bunnie Huang at 1h, 19 min
This video ends right before lunch

In http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17292311
Starts in the middle of Amanda Wozniak's talk
The audio appears to be screwy. James Bowman starts around 9:00, but he doesn't appear in the video until around 11:00.

In http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17292626
Bryan Newbold starts at 7 min.
Nathan Seidle at 17 min
Mitch Altman at 29 min

Suggestion: if you watch a few speakers, copy this list and add the times of a couple speakers, and post it as a reply. When it's done, we can send it to the OH Summit folks and ask them to post it.

Brandon

Boz

Post by Boz »

Thanks rascal, I emailed Mitch Altman and he said "I was told, via email, on 20-Sept that the videos would be up on the OHS website "in a week or so"."

So they may eventually get around to putting them up.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

Wow - great link. I'll be sure to watch them all. Thanks Rascal.

I hope next year they hire someone to document the event.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

You know....I started watching these - and the audio and video got so far out of sync, that the audio was 5 mins behind the slides. I assume that's a ustream issue.

Too bad. Some of the lectures/sessions were really visual - and great talks to boot. I should hop on the OSHW forum and see what's up - see what can be done!

(not to put too fine a point on it, but some of the content is right up there with what I would imagine was presented at the "home-brewed computer club" long ago....wouldn't that be a treat to be able to go back and watch?)

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”