Using the words "open source" for your product name?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
wayneft

Using the words "open source" for your product name?

Post by wayneft »

I was wondering if it's frowned upon to include the words "open source" in the name of your product?

For example, I recently posted a project on my site that received a lot of positive feedback across several blogs and was inundated with emails asking if I was going to incorporate the project into a single board. Based off this feedback and some research I decided to move forward with the design. The board will be fully open source (both hardware and software) and I wanted to call it something like the "Open Source Locator".

What do you think?

adafruit

Re: Using the words "open source" for your product name?

Post by adafruit »

wayneft wrote:I was wondering if it's frowned upon to include the words "open source" in the name of your product? For example, I recently posted a project on my site that received a lot of positive feedback across several blogs and was inundated with emails asking if I was going to incorporate the project into a single board. Based off this feedback and some research I decided to move forward with the design. The board will be fully open source (both hardware and software) and I wanted to call it something like the "Open Source Locator". What do you think?
very cool! it's great to hear this, woo!

we usually leave the "open source" part for the description.

MintyBoost - an open-source USB charger, etc...

usually you do not see "open source" as part of a specific product name. usually designers want something unique and google-able, once you add open source you're mixed up with everyone.

cheers,
adafruit

wayneft

Re: Using the words "open source" for your product name?

Post by wayneft »

Thanks again...I think I'll ponder it some more. Maybe I'll do a "name the board and get a free one" type thing?

Again thanks for all the advice you've given me and others, you really do provide an invaluable service to people here!

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”